Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell was up yesterday?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this belongs in the weather, science, Dublin City :rolleyes: or paranormal forum:eek: but what was with the weather yesterday? In Dun Laoghaire there wasn't a cloud in the sky, but out at the horizon it looked like the whole sea was up in smoke, even on the drive into Dun Laoghaire there was a thick fog covering Killiney, Loughlinstown and Ballybrack.

You look one way it looks like Florida in the summer, look the other it looks like a warzone. In all my years I've never seen a combination of such weather at the same time.

So just a bit of misplaced fog I thought, until I went to the park in Dun Laoghaire and again, cracking sunshine, no clouds, except for the massive patch of fog covering the sea, was kicking the ball about and then I sat down and noticed my breath was visible:confused: The same way it would be on an icy winter morning, every time I breathed out, it looked like I had just inhaled half a cigarette, it wasn't just me either, my friend had the same as well as other people in the park.

Definitely the first time I've ever seen anything like that. Any explanation for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

cormie wrote: »
    I don't know if this belongs in the weather, science, Dublin City :rolleyes: or paranormal forum:eek: but what was with the weather yesterday? In Dun Laoghaire there wasn't a cloud in the sky, but out at the horizon it looked like the whole sea was up in smoke, even on the drive into Dun Laoghaire there was a thick fog covering Killiney, Loughlinstown and Ballybrack.

You look one way it looks like Florida in the summer, look the other it looks like a warzone. In all my years I've never seen a combination of such weather at the same time.

So just a bit of misplaced fog I thought, until I went to the park in Dun Laoghaire and again, cracking sunshine, no clouds, except for the massive patch of fog covering the sea, was kicking the ball about and then I sat down and noticed my breath was visible:confused: The same way it would be on an icy winter morning, every time I breathed out, it looked like I had just inhaled half a cigarette, it wasn't just me either, my friend had the same as well as other people in the park.

Definitely the first time I've ever seen anything like that. Any explanation for this?

There was a weird haze over both McAuley Park and Fairview park too. I assumed it was mist blown in from the sea or someint'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Any explanation for this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah the same in Malahide yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yeah i saw that haze in Dun Laoghaire - the pier dissappeared into it! It was like a wall, you couldn't even see the bottom of the two towers in Clontarf .... weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Lets not panic....

Advection fog.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

caoibhin wrote: »
    Lets not panic....

Advection fog.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog

According to the wikinator, that happens when a warm front(correct) passes over a snowy area (not so much)?

Please enlighten the non weatherical among us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What about everyone breathing out the mist though? That was freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Um, it's pretty normal

Hot mass passing over cold Irish sea = fog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All of the dublin coast was shrouded in sea mist, it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its one of the signs that the zombies are coming! It will start with the dead rising from their watery graves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd go with Zombies and/or Sellafield leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's smug.

too many people driving hybrids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Cremo wrote: »
    it's smug.

:D. Thats good..

hehe :)

So nobody knows what the breath mist was from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

breathe in mist = breathe out mist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Cold fog yesterday in Clontarf too. The twin chimneys in Pigeon House looked weird poking out of the "Ground Clouds"

breathe in mist = breathe out mist

But there was no mist in the park, the park was clear as something that's really clear, the only mist was out at sea, you could see perfectly in the park, no mist at all, look up at the sky, it was blue, not a cloud, nothing. The mist was only out at sea?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes it was mist off the sea,
    warm air over the sea causing water vapour to rise which then cools
    due to the land not being that warm as it is early summer.
    The sea mist rolled in from the sea to the surrounding coastland.

But if you want to believe it was a dragon go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Cremo wrote: »
    it's smug.

i didnt drink much this weekend, I just asked the barman for an empty glass

Advertisement