Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Trial Anyone??????

Options
  • 06-05-2008 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Alright lads/ladies,

Got my first road bike 2 months ago, bianchi via nirone compact with Campagnolo Volce groupset, and have been addicted ever since.

Aim:
    basically, to measure my progress i'v laid out a 12km route at the foot of the Dublin mountains that i'm going to cycle every two weeks as a time trial. im going to compare my time and average speed to see if i'm getting faster and fitter. though i plan on buying a polar cs400 next month so ill be able to see my improvement more clearly with heart rate, cadence, etc......
    iv only done this time trial once, the results are as follows:

Time: 37:26
    Average Speed: 19.4 km/h

im about 5' 9 and weigh 13.5 stone and i reckon im about 1.5 stone overweight, so in to coming months i plan on improving this time dramatically as i 1) lose weight 2)become fitter 3)improve technique 4)get to know the route inside out

The Route:
    Basically the route is from lamb doyles pub to the junction of johnny foxes, take a right there and then stop when you come to the next junction. its very simple. ill post a link to the route on mapmyride.com below. the great thing about the route is that there are hardly any cars on these roads, especially in the morning, so its an uninterrupted cycle. also, its pretty much all up hill, check out the elevation feature on the mapmyride map (click on 'show elevation' bar at the bottom of the map, easy enough to miss unless you go looking for it, great site though). overall, the route has a 940ft ascent, but only a 323ft descent.

Anyway, im doing this, as i said before, every two weeks as a time trial. but i thought it would be interesting if some of you guys did it and posted your times also. see who's the fittest and so on. my time is terrible, i didnt exactly break my back doing it and im only starting to build up my fitness level. plan on really going for it this thursday.

to make sure we all do the same ride though, do as follows:

1) standing start from the junction at lamb doyles.
    2)follow the route shown in my map
    3)at the end of the route you will see a stop sign ( it's the only sign at the edmundstown rd/ cruagh rd junction), stop the clock when you go by this sign

Reward:
    Afterwards you can easily cycle over to stocking lane via viewpoint and see if you can set a new personal speed record bombing down the hill. its a 2 mile descent, you fly down.

so anyone interested?

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/rathfarnham/946449719553

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hobojojo

gonna post all my times here, and ill add yours to this post also, just to keep all the times in the one place.

Hobojojo 37:26 mins 19.4km/hr

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Looks like a course to favour the climbers among us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It's a nasty enough climb to start with but there's a nice downhill coming into Johnnie Fox's and once you pass Johnnie Fox's you can get some speed up on the pineforest rd.

I've only ever done it as part of a longer cycle, might time myself next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Looks like a course to favour the climbers among us

That's me out -I'm built for the straight and slightly downhill :)

That's me out -I'm built for the straight and slightly downhill :)

theres only one really nasty climb, its the hill that leads up to the blue light pub, about 1.5km into the route. short, but steep.

forgot that wind will factor into the equation now that i think of it. but it's quite a sheltered route, except for a small section after johnny foxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

once i'm back on the bike I'll give it a blast sometime. done that route a couple of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I wonder how much of an indicator of fitness a time trial like that is? All well and good hoofing up a short steep climb like that but not if your heart is doing 200bpm.
    Maybe I'm wrong here anyone know the read hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

On a short time-trial like this, if your heart rate isn't up near the max then you're not going hard enough! Even as you get fitter it'll still hurt just as much - you'll just be going a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Emmmmm disagree at 12km its a hard effort but not near max HR. You're suggesting that someone with a bike MHR of 195bpm should maintain 190bpm + for 15 or 16 minutes?

I don't think its an amazing idea to do this every fortnight. Maybe once every 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I cycle similarly hilly routes daily (including much of this route, although I don't tend to go up by the Blue Light but up Burrow Road) but generally am not trying for an all-out-effort.

OP- note if you are trying to lose weight longer gentler cycles around 70-80% of max heart rate should lose the weight better.

No harm using this as a progress yard stick every two weeks though (IMHO.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

tunney wrote: »
    You're suggesting that someone with a bike MHR of 195bpm should maintain 190bpm + for 15 or 16 minutes?

Not exactly - it was more of a metaphor. It should be elevated though :)

Morgan wrote: »
    On a short time-trial like this, if your heart rate isn't up near the max then you're not going hard enough! Even as you get fitter it'll still hurt just as much - you'll just be going a lot faster.

yeah thats exactly it, my aim is to push myself and see how much i can shave off my time.

im not too concerned with it being a test of fitness as much as it showing that i'm improving my cycling, in all areas.
    blorg wrote: »
    I cycle similarly hilly routes daily (including much of this route, although I don't tend to go up by the Blue Light but up Burrow Road) but generally am not trying for an all-out-effort.

OP- note if you are trying to lose weight longer gentler cycles around 70-80% of max heart rate should lose the weight better.

No harm using this as a progress yard stick every two weeks though (IMHO.)

to get my weight down im doing longer cycles at the weekend. between 60 and 100km.
    but during week days i try to make it out for shorter 30km cycles in the glencullen and pine forest area, and as it happens i usually end up doing this route along the way so my thinking was that ill time it every two weeks to check for improvement

hobojojo wrote: »
    to get my weight down im doing longer cycles at the weekend. between 60 and 100km.
    but during week days i try to make it out for shorter 30km cycles in the glencullen and pine forest area, and as it happens i usually end up doing this route along the way so my thinking was that ill time it every two weeks to check for improvement
    Sounds like a good approach to me. Here's that elevation chart (went that way home this evening: )

th_LambDoyles-CruaghRoad.png

cheers for the elevation chart blorg, its pretty sweet. what cycle computer do you use?

just did the route again this evening, clocked in at 34:14 with an average speed of 21.3km/hr, thats a 3 min improvement, which was to be expected as last time i didnt exactly murder myself. little bit windy up there today i should note

anyone know how i can edit my previous post to add in my new time? or can you only edit the last post you made on a thread?

I have a Garmin Edge 305, great gadget and highly recommended although it can be a little finickity at times.

I think there is a time limit on editing posts.

OK, managed to get around in my lunch time today- 27:51. This on my road bike putting in a reasonable effort (average HR 168 bpm), although in my sandals rather than my stiff-soled shoes. Passed one girl on a MTB and a guy on a Discovery-livery Trek. Lovely weather. Were they fellow competitors, who knows ;-)

Elevation/Time & Map:

th_Time_Trial_Elevation.pngth_Time_Trial_Map.png

I think this elevation chart is a bit more accurate, the first one was too high to start and corrected itself later (this one has my workplace at around the right altitude.)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    O...although in my sandals rather than my stiff-soled shoes...

Great potential for uppping the ante on this one. "I did it in 26 mins, but I was in a high nelly and wearing wellies".

el tonto wrote: »
    Great potential for uppping the ante on this one. "I did it in 26 mins, but I was in a high nelly and wearing wellies".
    The challenge is on! Now where to get a carbon high nelly and SPD wellies... :D

Seriously though, I would have shaved 0:00:02 off that time with my other shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

32:00 for me, first time on the road bike in a long long time and not been getting off road a lot recently either. Forgot how steep that little climb before the blue light is, bit punishing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Lads im a moron,help me here,i know the general area but can you just explain the direction from the Blue Gardenia,also i cant read a map,id like to give it a go,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

We should organise a session of it for some Saturday. Set off every couple of minutes. Winner gets bragging rights.

ill be the one wearing the long pointy hat .

I'll be the one wheezing along in last place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Raam wrote: »
    We should organise a session of it for some Saturday. Set off every couple of minutes. Winner gets bragging rights.

great idea. but there should be a handicap system of some sort, depending on our climbing ability. you, for instance, would have to use this bike.

niceonetom wrote: »
    great idea. but there should be a handicap system of some sort, depending on our climbing ability. you, for instance, would have to use this bike.

Or we could remove one of his legs... :D

Nooo! that'd just make him even lighter!!!! We need him to tow someone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ah lads, you're giving me too much credit.

ok,am i starting at Lamb Doyles and going up that road next to it?,dooohhhh.

yes. up that road, past the blue light. As you pass by a stone-works fireplace you come to a sort of a tjunction, take the right had fork. you'll go up a bit of a hill and past golf courses until you come to a cross roads, with johnny foxes on your left. go right. keep going till the sign tells you to stop.

• Advertisement

Thanks kenmc,ill give that a go tomorrow.

Advertisement