Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many english quotes???

Options
  • 05-05-2008 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many english quotes people are learning for honours english, especially for the single text (Othello).

Im doing about 25 for each poet but dont really know how many to do for Othello

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I have about 20 for Othello. I'm only studying 3 poets so I pretty much know their poems off by heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

In Othello, a "close working knowledge" is required of the text, which isn't necessary in your comparative, which basically means constant reference to events, couple of scene or act references, and some major quotage. To make it easier for yourself, group quotes into "jealousy", "Iago, "Othello", "animal imagery", "Desdemona, woman in general", "sexual imagery". Some of them will intersect.

Two big blocky quotes, and brief few-word or sentence quotes throughout the answer woven into valid discussion should be grand. Don't get too hung up, just make sure you display your, blah blah here it comes.. "close working knowledge".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

We got 40 quotes to learn for our 4 day weekened.

I'd say we have about 200 quotes from Othello when we only need about 10!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Dont you think 20 is a bit conservative? I was thinking of learning more like 100. Not that i would put that many in one answer, just to be covered for all eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I've got a list of about 50 for Othello, but I suspect I need more... if I could learn that 50, though, I'd be happy.
    For poetry... I guess 5 quotes from 5 poems by 5 poets, that's gonna be 125 quotes, but that'd be a rough guide.

• Advertisement

Yeah were only doing 4 poets - mahon boland larkin and rich. For poetry i didnt go on a set number, just as many as id need. so ive like one quote for some poems (shadow doll) and seven for others (church going).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Hardly learnt any quotes for Rich for my mock and got 45/50. Seriously, i must of had about 6 or 7 and tried remembering others (which were probably wrong) and ended up getting an A1.

Plan on learning some more but like someone already said, I'm only learning 3 poets well and another just to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I have...
    None :)
    I made up every single quote I used in my pre and got an A2
    Quotes don't automatically mean marks
    Using like one word for example "honest" iago or else the "moor" counts as a quote

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I made up every single quote I used in my pre and got an A2

Well most of your "made up" quotes were those you subconsciously remembered. Not to detract from and A2, good result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 marus aureilous

id say maybe 4 othello 3 r 4 per paragraph nd ders 6 pars so 20 per answer nd doin 3 defos: character(iago r othello) theme and issue(revenge and jealousy or apperance vs reality) and appeal to modern audience
    so do the maths

also id say 4 to 5 quotes n poetry and bout 2 per paragraph in comparative coz u hav better chance of gettin a1 if u use selective quotes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

i m gonna learn 20 quotes from othello, 20 quotes from iago, 10 quotes from cassio, and a few from the minor characters.
    i m learning 5 poets:Donne, Mahon, Montague, Rich, Boland.I think Boland And Mahon Have Great Chances of coming up.Rich Has a great chance of comin up aswell because this is her 1st year on the course.
    For Comparative, I think Literary Genre has 90% chance of comin up and Theme and Issue has good changes too.
    By the way, Is There Gonna be a character question on othello?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I know about 15 quotes from each poet, Its more than enough because im good at linking them to my point.

As for Othello about 20 I'm learning but I know so many others from revising it for the last 2 years that i'm sure ill be able to write more if necessary.

though in the pre I had about 7 or 8 and got 57/60

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Iv about 12/13 for each poet, 2 from each poem

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have 3 for each poem. I am doing 4 poems for each poet, so 12 is enough for one poet.

For Othello, I only know 2-3 quotes for jealousy and that's it. I'm so screwed for that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Well about 10 from each act in othello and About 40 quotes for each poet is what we are told.
    A quote can be one word by the way...

Quotes.. hmm..

Othello = 30
    Poetry.. :( = 100

It's all rather homosexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

100 quotes from poetry man get real, are you doing all 8 poets for the leaving cert or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I don't know many quotes from Othello at all at all and still did decently in the pre question. You just need to throw them in here and there to back up the odd point. Don't turn your whole answer into a quote-fest. Ava, poetry quotes aren't about numbers. Just list out the points you'd make about the poet's works and pick a few quotes as examples. A couple of striking images or examples of alliteration etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Woah Some People Have Got A Lot Of Quotes..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,698 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have terrible quote-memory, I used about 20/30 for the text and 15 per poet. I'd reccomend more though, unless you have a few really flexible good quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

1 or 2 quotes from each poem by each poet, don't know what that'll add up to and I don't want to know (makes it seem shorter haha)
    As for Othello, I'm only going to learn general ones .. ones that could fit into a few genras (I don't know how to spell it .. and here's me doing my LC in a days time!) But I reckon that somthing got to do with jealously or Iagos evilness will come up as they're the most general theme, so about 10 quotes for each thing and about 5 general ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I had no quotes for my MOX and still managed to get a C3 !!

Advertisement