Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silliest thing your pets do

Options
  • 05-05-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Due to people with talented pets making my poor babies look less than entertaining, I would like to know what silly things your pet gets up to.

One of my cats will not squash through a door which has been left ajar. He wont try to push it open either. The door (which is a typical light door) could be left open with a gap just a little smaller than his head and he will sit there mewing until you open it.

My other cat still tries to catch fish from the pond - despite the fact there has not been a fish in there in about 8 months!

Same cat - after having a spell of frosty weather - fell into the pond because she had gotten so used to it being iced over she just hopped in.

Oh she also fell out the bedroom window because I gave her a fright when I walked into the room.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

My bulldog Tyson
    When hes asleep along side our couch snoring away and suddently he rips a huge fart he run aways from the couch so fast and cant get a grip as we have wooden flooring flying around in circles.The fart seems to scare the living daylights out of him!As he doesnt realise hed done it.We laugh so much at his confusion of it, poor fella.Frrrrrrrrrrrrrt and away he goes ballistic!About 3 or 4 times a night!So funny.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Katie_Kiss

my cat barks at birds - yes that right she barks!!!! she sits in the sun porch and kinda makes a sqeaky bark noise when she see's a bird on the patio outside and her jaw kinda makes a bitting movement, does this happen anyone elses cat?

she also clings to my mums good sofa and drags herself round and round it. and she has no spacial awareness whatso ever, she will roll over for her belly to be rubbed and she will fall off the chair or knee!!!

she also meows at the back door and when u let her out she runs round the front of the house and is standing at the glass at the front door wanting to get back in.

oh and she sleeps in the back room which has glass half way up the door and a stop leading down to the floor, she will stand on a shelf and put both paws on the glass panels and look out to see if anyone is still up haha (hard to expain the lay out)

@helena - my kitty wouldnt go through the door even when it was ajar but then she seen the other cat do it and now she works away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

She chews her own paw when watching the tv.

Shes a woman hater. Loves men, hates women :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The gf's dog (I'm not allowed one:() will take the food from her bowl (the dry dog biscuits) and leave it in different spots around the kitchen - she'll eat it when she feels like it or if I start kicking it around!

Katie_Kiss wrote: »
    my cat barks at birds - yes that right she barks!!!! she sits in the sun porch and kinda makes a sqeaky bark noise when she see's a bird on the patio outside and her jaw kinda makes a bitting movement, does this happen anyone elses cat?

she also clings to my mums good sofa and drags herself round and round it. and she has no spacial awareness whatso ever, she will roll over for her belly to be rubbed and she will fall off the chair or knee!!!

she also meows at the back door and when u let her out she runs round the front of the house and is standing at the glass at the front door wanting to get back in.

oh and she sleeps in the back room which has glass half way up the door and a stop leading down to the floor, she will stand on a shelf and put both paws on the glass panels and look out to see if anyone is still up haha (hard to expain the lay out)

@helena - my kitty wouldnt go through the door even when it was ajar but then she seen the other cat do it and now she works away
    blimey cat bark! thats handy let me know if she has a litter of cats id take one!of you!if you dont mind,i love a barking cat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Katie_Kiss

davey180 wrote: »
    blimey cat bark! thats handy let me know if she has a litter of cats id take one!of you!if you dont mind,i love a barking cat!

sorry she is spayed but ill take a video the next time i catch her at it.....anyone wanna volunteer a bird? lol

Katie_Kiss wrote: »
    sorry she is spayed but ill take a video the next time i catch her at it.....anyone wanna volunteer a bird? lol
    damn! love to see a video of ye cat barking up the wrong tree!As for a bird your single.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My previous cat used to do that at the window was never sure what it meant though, it's not growling because they growl a diff. way. Hard to describe unless you see it but it's funny.

One of my tiels, Victor, has a thing for feet. He will sit on the ground and talk and serinade to your feet all day. Whole love heart wings n all.

When the dogs bark the other tiel Rocky is set off and starts barking too, when the dogs weren't there one morning Rocky just took to barking anyway.

Can't think of anything else the dogs are just head cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

My dog insists on jumping up on the garden table for a drink of water even when there is a perfectly good bucket of water beside her.Show off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hubbie left glass with bit of baileys on floor one day and cat drank it(didn't see him but could smell it on him) he fell twice trying to get on my lap that's when i noticed smell, then layed down purring and dribbling untill he fell asleep. Been very careful with drinks since. He 's odd cat anyway always falling over when being rubbed and once grabbed large piece of chicken curry off plate, it was hilarious. dropped it and backed away, blinking and sticking tongue out and sneezing untill he hit kitchen wall then ran outside and over wall. didn't come back for good 15 minutes. Needless to say he's more careful about commiting crimes now.

• Advertisement

land9 wrote: »
    The gf's dog (I'm not allowed one:() will take the food from her bowl (the dry dog biscuits) and leave it in different spots around the kitchen - she'll eat it when she feels like it or if I start kicking it around!

Thats a natural instinct.
    Dogs like to bury food in different hidey holes in case they need it again.

Yesterday my cat came over all crouching tiger hidden dragon on my rottie.
    The cat was trying to make me think the dog was picking on her.
    She is looking for an excuse to elevate herself to honory human status and come live with us 24/7.
    Rottie cowered in a corner and cried, cat was disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

She makes a crappy job of hiding it! - she puts a few pieces on her "spot" by the range and scatters other pieces around, like at the sink or near the door; she won't eat the dry food straight from her bowl, only if she gets leftovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

If the lights are off are dog can't make it up the stairs, she just trips over herself.

She'll only eat the meaty part of her food if she's on her own but will only eat the biscuits if someone is with her.

My hamster has a wheel in his cage and he likes to run on the outside of it. He falls off every couple of seconds but he just keeps at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

My dog walks into lampposts on a regular basis when she's too busy looking around. Also scares herself with her own snoring and frequently falls off her bed trying to get comfortable.

On the upside, I'm pretty clumsy myself so all this makes me look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never get tired of their reaction to the hoover. One tries to face it down, and fight, while the other cowers behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

my parents little yorkie (8) sits on the sweeping brush when you are trying to sweep the floor..

Our lady a westie x (2), who neutered a year humps her bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

When my dog welcomes you home, she can't come over to you without something in her mouth like a ball or a toy. She also wags her tail so violently she hits hersolf in the face with it. Mad as a brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mimi3637

yeah one of my baby kitties Yoshi does that mad barking at birds, although hers is more of a high pitched squeak as if she's trying to pretend to the other birds that she is a big furry bird with sharp teeth.

She also sits in her chair and bows her head and sleeps with the top of her head on the cushion like she's praying to mecca or something, I think she was a muslim in her previous life.

Then on the other side, she's absolutely obsessed with cars. If you leave the window/door/sunroof/boot open she's in straight away. She loves to sleep on the parcelshelf of my car, especially on a sunny day and just bake herself on the back window.

Keith (Yoshi's sister) is pure stupid. They are not allowed upstairs anymore (Keith has pissed on all the beds in the house) but if she manages to sneak out the living room door and get up the stairs she'll announce her naughtiness by doing her big sing song meow up on the landing, then Yoshi tries to follow her up the stairs as well as if we won't hear her.

silly babies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

One of my cats does that chirpy squeaky thing when he's hunting. It does sound like he's trying to mimic a bird.

If I'm not getting up quick enough for him in the morning for his breakie. He will first mew in my face, walk all over me and as a last resort go to the door, lie on his side and start scrapping and banging on the door with 4 paws - like a mini cat tantrum. Brat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My dog is mental .

But then the way he looks at me makes me think he feels the same way about me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

mimi
    1 of our cats does that muslim thing when shes asleep aswell!!!!! and i thought she was the only 1! does yours go into a really deep sleep? smut does you can just push her over and she stays asleep!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My dog used to be incapable of opening doors, like the OP's cat. She's too small to get to the handle but if a door was ajar she'd just sit there uselessly staring at it. She's finally figured it out yet, though the concept of "pulling" a door is still beyond her.

We've two doors to the back garden. If she's out there she'll sit at one crying to get in even if the other one is wide open. Even if you go to the other door (which is around the corner to the other) and call her, she'll just sit there, confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My dog Honey (sadly passed away now) taught herself to open a door towards herself! She would curl her paw around like a hook and pull it inwards. I thought this was amazing! She could do it on some really heavy doors too.
    We have a nutjob of a collie now called Guinness. Does some weird things ( we think she thinks shes human) At 7 o clock in the evening (on the button) She will sit up and look straight at the kitchen until you get up off the sofa and get her dinner ready! She then wont eat it if your also in the kitchen. Also wont eat the dry stuff unless theres a bit of meat stuck to it.
    Only when you turn off he fire and tv together will she sit up and go to bed on her mat. Otherwise she knows your coming back and doesnt budge!
    If you come downstairs in the night and shes sleeping on the landing nothing will make her move! You have to step over her (very lazy!)
    She waits up at night until everyone is in and will only then move onto her coveted spot onthe landing from the mat.
    She gets really uptight when our other dog Holly is let in.[(Holly is a bit stupid but loves running around the garden and getting wet in the rain so we leave her outside most days with a dog flap to inside if it gets really bad) Guinness prefers being inside and will get really stropy and 'wont talk to you' if she gets so much as mildly damp! So she stays mainly inside] Guinness will get all weird and hide behind peoples legs and will get all stroppy until Holly goes out again. Holly is a little bit dumb but a sweet heart and adorable and doesnt understand why guinness doesnt want to play with her! Its very cute!
    Guinness does a lot of crazy things but cant think of any more now!
    Love all my dogs to bits! Wouldnt change them for anything!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

Wel my cat have a few tricks, and he is very active.

But the one i hate the most is when it is just the 2 of us in the apartment, and I walk around and cant find him anyware. And after like a few minutes of searching and calling he is noware to be found.

He jumps up onto the door in a certain room, the top part and sleeps there. Than when i finally find him he looks down at me, and we both know who is in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 special

I have one mad cat that is one of a kind, he is a complete character. He will sit by a patio door or window and stake out birds [or birdies] and when he spots one he starts making that mad noise like a barking dog. He will get really excited and starts showing his teeth the more excited he gets the more teeth he shows. I really like to tease him and pretend that I can see a bird and when i pick him up and point it out to him and he goes mad. So to really tease him his word for birds are "birdies", if you say this word to him he goes mad. My other cats pay no attention to us.

He is very active as well he opens doors by jumping up on the handle and hanging on them, he will keep doing this until the door opens. I have to lock the doors of the rooms that i dont want him in.

He is very attention seeking he will cry and cry until he gets attention. He loves to head butt myself as he thinks that this is form of affection, Its his party trick.

You should see him run if you say the word "ham", "birdy" "bed bed" or another cats name. He could be fast asleep but thoses words have great power.

He is the boss of the house but he is a complete mammys boy. He has only been outside in the last year and he is already fighting with the local pussy cats. If one annoies him to much he jumps onto the windows of the house and goes looking for one of the family, he will then expect you to open the window for him. If you dont open the window he will cry and cry and cry, if the window open then he lets himself in.

This is only a few things he gets up to he is more demanding then any child.

I am also not allowed a lie in he knows which room we sleep in so at breakfast time he starts calling us. We live in a two storey house.

The cat is mad must the most loved cat in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 special

I have one mad cat that is one of a kind, he is a complete character.

He will sit by a patio door or window and stake out birds [or birdies] and when he spots one he starts making that mad noise like a barking dog. He will get really excited and starts showing his teeth the more excited he gets the more teeth he shows. I really like to tease him and pretend that I can see a bird and when i pick him up and point it out to him and he goes mad. So to really tease him his word for birds are "birdies", if you say this word to him he goes mad. My other cats pay no attention to us. :p

He is very active as well he opens doors by jumping up on the handle and hanging on them, he will keep doing this until the door opens. I have to lock the doors of the rooms that i dont want him in. :D

He is very attention seeking he will cry and cry until he gets attention. He loves to head butt myself as he thinks that this is form of affection, Its his party trick.

You should see him run if you say the word "ham", "birdy" "bed bed" or another cats name. He could be fast asleep but thoses words have great power.

He is the boss of the house but he is a complete mammys boy. He has only been outside in the last year and he is already fighting with the local pussy cats. If one annoies him to much he jumps onto the windows of the house and goes looking for one of the family, he will then expect you to open the window for him. If you dont open the window he will cry and cry and cry, if the window open then he lets himself in.

This is only a few things he gets up to he is more demanding then any child.

I am also not allowed a lie in he knows which room we sleep in so at breakfast time he starts calling us. We live in a two storey house.

The cat is mad must the most loved cat in Ireland

Advertisement