Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholars Bar in Dublin 8

Options
  • 05-05-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

is this place still open ? i heard they closed for a while because it burnt down or something ? i was there on a saturday night once and liked it ....
    if its still open what nights is it open ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup it's still open for the time being, never burnt down or anything. The owner recently got planning permission for apartments though.

It's open every night.

It's gone to the dump in the last year maybe two, so unless you're under 25 and a scumbag I'd stay away from it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

lol ... im 26, and no scum... is it closing down next week ? i was told that ...

hel_hev wrote: »
    is it closing down next week ? i was told that ...

Possibly, not to sure. But as I said they have planning permission for apartments. Give them a ring on (01)4532000.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I live above it and my landlord said they didn't get the planning permission. Apparently everyone in my block opposed it? My balcony would be totally overshadowed if they built apartments and it's actually a nice building so they shouldnt flatten it.

Anyway, any weekend night that I'm in my gaff I see a load of knacks coming out of it at about 2am and fighting with each other on the road/in the chipper afterwards so it doesnt look like the most desireable place to visit. Cheap drink though apparently.

Scholars is closing on Sunday for good.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Scholars is closing on Sunday for good.;)

jeepers, and the headline is gone too

jeepers, and the headline is gone too

It will be open in due course, ironically The Headline are having the same tax problems as Scholars had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

It will be open in due course, ironically The Headline are having the same tax problems as Scholars had last year.

Talking to somebody in the know about this today, the Headline was trading without a Publican's License and was "asked" to close by the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Talking to somebody in the know about this today, the Headline was trading without a Publican's License and was "asked" to close by the Gardaí.

no Publican's License, sound like they have bigger problems

Interesting but not suprising, but I was told it's just to do with tax and once they pay it they can open back up. BTW Scholars is now definitely gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Interesting but not suprising, but I was told it's just to do with tax and once they pay it they can open back up. BTW Scholars is now definitely gone.

Unpaid tax is not the reason why it is closed but that is related to the issue. I won't say any more in case it is sitting in a DPP file.

Scholars is a loss to Dublin much as TB was; it is a nasty hole. Black Pits was well named for a kip like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

i dunno i always thought it was ok ...,
    is there anywhere esle in D8 like that ? i mean where u can dance aswell as drink and that opens late-ish ....
    i hate going into actully "town"

Scholars is a loss to Dublin much as TB was; it is a nasty hole. Black Pits was well named for a kip like it.

It only turned into a kip over the last few years, it used to be the parents local but once the young cocaine snorting crowd started arriving they decided on a new local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 butters_scotch

I see The Headline re-opened on Saturday, does anybody know who is running this now? is it the guys who had been running it or has it gone back to the owners?

Advertisement