Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some sites unreachable when trying to connect over wireless to NTL BB

Options
  • 05-05-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    A friend of mine is having a peculiar problem with a wireless bridge that he just got. It seems that he is unable to connect to certain websites, and some websites do not show up completely (e.g. images dropped) when he tries to connect over a new wireless AP that he got.

I am quite sure that its the wireless that's the problem because when he connects directly to his NTL modem, everything works perfectly. In fact, its not just the wireless but also when he tries to connect in through any of the regular ethernet ports (there are 4) on the Access point, he gets the same behaviour.

Sites that work fine are google, gmail, youtube, and sites that are blocked completely or partially are ebay.ie, ulsterbank.ie and liverpoolfc.tv. I have tried pinging the unreachable site when connected through the AP and there is no route to host. When I get rid of the AP and connect directly to the NTL modem there is no problem at all!

Its a D-Link AP, and a D-Link are usually pretty good, so I'm reluctant to believe that it's a Dud. It seems like some issue with the network settings but I've looked through all the settings in windows and I've logged into the router and changed a few things on there, but nothing seems to have any effect.

I'm just wondering if anybody's seen anything like this before? We asked the guy in Harvey Norman's what he thought the problem was and he categorically stated that NTL do not support wireless ... which is strange because they seem to have made an exception for me :o)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jumbo wrote: »
    Hi,
    A friend of mine is having a peculiar problem with a wireless bridge that he just got. It seems that he is unable to connect to certain websites, and some websites do not show up completely (e.g. images dropped) when he tries to connect over a new wireless AP that he got.

I am quite sure that its the wireless that's the problem because when he connects directly to his NTL modem, everything works perfectly. In fact, its not just the wireless but also when he tries to connect in through any of the regular ethernet ports (there are 4) on the Access point, he gets the same behaviour.

Sites that work fine are google, gmail, youtube, and sites that are blocked completely or partially are ebay.ie, ulsterbank.ie and liverpoolfc.tv. I have tried pinging the unreachable site when connected through the AP and there is no route to host. When I get rid of the AP and connect directly to the NTL modem there is no problem at all!

Its a D-Link AP, and a D-Link are usually pretty good, so I'm reluctant to believe that it's a Dud. It seems like some issue with the network settings but I've looked through all the settings in windows and I've logged into the router and changed a few things on there, but nothing seems to have any effect.

I'm just wondering if anybody's seen anything like this before? We asked the guy in Harvey Norman's what he thought the problem was and he categorically stated that NTL do not support wireless ... which is strange because they seem to have made an exception for me :o)

Is the bridge allowing broadcast/UDP traffic? I'm wondering if it's blocking DNS lookups and only cached DNS entries are working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Also try turn off the firewall stuff in it ( if there ) , it could be causing hassle with pmtu discovery

Advertisement