Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on legwear sought

Options
  • 05-05-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

I'll soon be setting off into the Wicklow hills at 7am. No rain will be forecast for the day and temperatures will be above average. The problem I had the last time in these circumstances was that the combination of early morning dew and high grass meant that I was soon soaked up the thighs and I had to turn back at 8am

Shorts are not really an option because of ticks and the likelyhood that water will run down my legs and soak my socks. Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just wear your normal thin summer walking trousers but wear gaiters as well? Some people don't like them, saying they're too hot, but I don't find that personally. If the grass is really high you'll still get some wetness above the gaiters, i.e. above the knees but it shouldn't be as bad as without.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Alun wrote: »
    wear gaiters as well

How about that - I always thought gaiters were for horsey people !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eirman wrote: »
    How about that - I always thought gaiters were for horsey people !
    Not these kind, at least :)

http://www.lowealpine.com/Products/Detail.asp?ProductTypeID=9&ProductGroupID=14&Position=12&SpecificActivityID=

They're great as well in muddy conditions .. something not entirely uncommon in the Wicklow Mountains as I'm sure you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Good choice on those Lowe gaiters too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Lowe gaiters are great. A friend went through some bog water and nothing got through!

• Advertisement
Advertisement