Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arabians

Options
  • 04-05-2008 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Seem to be very thin on the ground.Anyone come across any - know where they are to be found?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Theres a small stud in my local area that has an arabian stallion and breeds off a few mares, its called Oran Arabians. Im not sure to what extent they operate at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Kelly O'Malley

I know about them,the stallion is a 15 3 chestnut straight Russian called Sistonce - I knew him when he was still at his breeder's yard in the UK, very sweet horse - and found their website.Their other two stallions,one half russian and the other a 'golden cross' mix ,aren't the bloodline I'm looking for either.
    I found the stud farm in Maynooth too - much bigger operation - with mostly straight Egyptian and a few 'high fashion' show horses.
    There's a cracking bay Polish stallion in Castle Carnew, Wicklow but he's only put to t'breds.
    I think there's a very nice Crabbet stallion in Roscommon somewhere,(I think his name was Redhouse Condor) he'd be getting on a bit if he's still alive,but he was only being used on pony mares.
    What I'm looking for is a Crabbet bred mare.Sigh.It's a long difficult search...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Have a look at the IHB's Arab stallion book...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 johnny_g

ive had 2 red house condor x conemara pony mares.... both were very good lookers and went to grade A. one went to sweden...we're still breeding from the other.... there seemed to be a good few ponies by him in the midlands about 8 years ago wen i was jumping...(jees time has flown since then!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Morafic

I saw Red House Condor as a foal 20 odd years ago, glad to hear that he's still going strong and has produced some good stock:)

Thanks also for posting the link for the IHB arab list ... I wasn't aware that they had such a thing. Just shows how one lives and learns:D Most interesting too, if Greggans Timothy's dam is the mare I think it is then he would be asil which would make him one of the few in the country and entirely different breeding from the others.:)

I also have a handful of arabians in Kilkenny ... not Crabbet though ... Egyptian.

http://blenheim-arabians.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I had an Arab Connemara X pony who competed to European level. He went on to win Gold with the Germans but he was a tempermental Fella with amazing strides and speed but he was a chicken at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 vpg

Hi there is a stud in Wicklow that stands a breed of Arabs called Shagyas. http://www.myrtle-lodge-shagyas.com/index.php?id=314

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Heather Queen

I have a 14.2 mare out of Red House Condor who is also very good looking and Done BSJA since a 5 year old she has been grade JA for a long time. She is now 18. Also she has gave out great foals which also show great ability to jump.[

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I'm another who had a Connemara x Arab. She was by Shariko, by Archemorus, who has strong Crabbet bloodlines on both sire and dam's sides. Unfortunately she wasn't registered to him as she was one of his first foals, well before he was approved. She was an amazing pony though - stunning looker, fab movement, great jump and great temperament. I was over age by the time she was going on though so we had to sell her and I lost touch with her when she was sold on again. She went abroad afaik.

I'd love to know how she's done as the first foal from that mare went to Grade A and JA (new UK owners didn't know her history and started her from scratch!) and the second one was better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Dodstown stud near maynooth has a few studs, don't know about selling however, and I reckon they will go for a bit.

I got my mare at quite an obscure place, so if you're looking to buy, I might even suggest going to a few local yards who buy and sell, you might get lucky, although if you are a bit iffy about buying like that I would suggest perhaps to take the advice from others on this thread.

That being said, I got my 89% crabbat arabian mare for only 4,500, right before the recession, from a riding stables who happened to stumble upon her.

They are getting quite hard to find I have noticed that myself, and the ones that are worth looking at are quite expensive.

I wish you luck in finding your arabian, I find they are such a loyal and great friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lenaw98

have a look on www.arabianlines.com, UK site, go to Sales in menu on left. I bought my mare from UK last year- 5 yr old Polish mare as I couldnt find anything here that I wanted for my Arab stallion to breed from. He is Crabbet, Spanish, Polish and Egyptian so a right mix. : ) I am sure there are Arabs here in Ireland but very difficult to find. And if you are looking for Crabbet, you have more chance in UK.

Hmmm my mare had a foal 4 years back, he should be broken by now.

he will have a lot of crabbat influence in him because of my mare.

Now I'm not guaranteeing anything, but give Carton Equestrian a ring and see if they have any arabians for sale.

They might also have my mare's half brother up there who will be crabbat as well.

Carton Equestrian is based in kilcloon in co. meath, just outside Maynooth.

Might be worth a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaundoherty

hello not sure if this will even work but i just seen that you ere looking for an arab and red house condor was mentioned. he's still alive and he stands with me in donegal along with his pure bred son condor blues. rondor is 24 this year and harvey (his son) is a two year old and this will be his first year at stud.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Wow, I can't believe he's still going strong Shaun! He's thrown lots of good jumping ponies in his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaundoherty

yep, hes still going strong.he got alot of good mares the last couple of years and we cant wait to see the foals in another couple of months. he doesnt get many pony mares anymore its all big mares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ali CP

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I have a lovely horse by the stallion in the previous post! I am obviously very biased though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

yes dowdstown stud in maynooth have a good few arabs.not sure if they breed to outside mares or sell any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Heidi Kingston

Hello there!

I have Red House Condor's half-sister (Red House Kashala) I would really love to see a photo of him, or any of his offspring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Hi, does anyone know if there are any Arab show classes around? Apart from the RDS which is the only one I've heard of.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I wasn't aware the RDS had an Arab class? There is one at the Riding Club's Festival in Stradbally in June. Clonaslee show in Laois, in September have Arab classes but I think they are mainly in hand.

I'd be interested in bringing my girl to an arab class ... although my arab is apparently a cross bred with a cow, may have to work on her presence a bit more! :rolleyes: She looks like a western stock horse when she walks, head almost at her knees! (she's also having a phantom pregnancy :pac:)

I only saw it mentioned on the RDS website so don't know anything else about it. But I would be interested in showing my mare too so let us know if you hear of any other classes. Thanks. I'm hoping to get her into endurance riding too - any body else?:rolleyes:

eorna wrote: »
    I only saw it mentioned on the RDS website so don't know anything else about it. But I would be interested in showing my mare too so let us know if you hear of any other classes. Thanks. I'm hoping to get her into endurance riding too - any body else?:rolleyes:

I'd like to get mine into endurance as well, may wait untill she's older and has more sense though haha! Her daddy was an endurence horse, so it's in her blood anyway!

Yeah, mine needs to get a bit of sense too!Though she's 7 she was only broken last year. So alot to do. But I just know she'd love endurance, seems like she could go on forever. Finding a place to train is hard - to get a bit of distance in. The roads are so mad around us. And canal banks are all blocked off sooooo annoying!:mad: Might try Wicklow and do some trails there.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

you could try the ildra pleasure rides at the weekend and build up the distance. I did one of the pleasure rides a few weeks ago and it was lovely, although I am still confused at why people like endurance... but thats another issue altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 unwinding

This Stradbally thingy, is it this?

http://tiny.cc/ntu23

Anybody know more about this event, such as driving instructions how to find it? Is it a big event? How many arabs expected? (there's a show class on Sun, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

The schedule is online there. Entries closed ages ago. You have to be an AIRC member to enter.

Its very easy to find. The entrance is right in the middle of stradbally village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 unwinding

Thanks, so it is :) I was thinking of going there as a spectator. Here's hoping it won't rain :cool:

Advertisement