Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice

Options
  • 04-05-2008 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Like many other people i am at a crossroads! For most of my life i have worked in construction. I spent a few years at college doing a course but having never worked in an office i left. I am now self employed subcontracting off a larger company.

I think i have come to the stage where i would like to change. My job over the last few years involved making bad work good and keeping clients happy. Sometime foreman, sometimes labourer.

I like the work dealing with clients. I would like to get into sales fields possibly but don't know what i need. My computer skills are basic, and i have no experience. I know there are probably hundreds of better educated and skilled workers out there but a big part of me believes i can do it.

Any advise on where i can start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Hi J

Why don't you start with some of the suppliers of material / equipemt to the trade? You'd have the hands on experience & knowledge of the products... also dealing with clients & keeping them happy is a large part of sales so you'd be half way there already.

I'd start asking around informally to see who's hiring & go from there

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

You could do an ECDL course. www.ecdl.ie
    Its a course that will give you all the computer skills you would need to work in an office environment and its easy enough too as it assumes no knowledge of computers.

Advertisement