Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caliber Question

Options
  • 03-05-2008 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Moving home, just looking at taking up target shooting as a new passtime.
    What is the maximum caliber available in Ireland?
    When I was a kid at home in Connemara it was .22 for a rifle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There is no maximum. It depends what kind of targets and distances you want to shoot and whether you're in the correct club to do so. What would you be interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that any calibre over .308 was Restricted? i could be completely off, though...

_Kar.

Kareir wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that any calibre over .308 was Restricted? i could be completely off, though...

_Kar.

Potentially, yes, but one: the restricted list is not in force and may have been rendered defunct, and two: restricted doesn't mean it's unavailable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

ah, thanks for that.
    Good to know we can still have all those lovely big calibres :p
    who wouldn't want a gun that'll dislocate your shoulder with every shot?

_Kar.

PS: New idea for keeping children fit - If they dont run laps they have to fire an entire box of .700 Nitro ammo... it could work...

Edit - To stay on topic, If you're looking at a new target rifle thats, well, cheap and cheerful, get a .22lr or .22 wmr. i prefer centrefire, but the rimfires are good to use as your barrel cools.

Not me, I wanna play with a .300 win mag someday. :p

If you're looking to do target shooting, it depends whether you want to do smallbore (25 yard, 50 metre or 100 yard) or fullbore (various ranges out to 1000 yards). The best way to do it is to shoot smallbore first. You won't develop a flinch that way, and you'll learn to shoot in such a way that a bogey shot costs maybe twenty cents, rather than two quid. Expensive mistakes hurt. Chances are you'll be the better fullbore shooter for it when the time comes, if you decide to go down that road, and plenty don't. The challenge of competitive smallbore shooting is endless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Moving home, just looking at taking up target shooting as a new passtime.
    What is the maximum caliber available in Ireland?
    When I was a kid at home in Connemara it was .22 for a rifle.

you can have what you like with in reason i have shot 338, 6.5 284 ,300 in the last while the 6.5 284 is a tack driver and easy to shoot .but the ole .22 is the best fun of them all

Advertisement