Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who thinks this is funny?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's not funny at first..........and not really funny when it sinks in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

why?

are christians the only ones who believe in fire and brimstone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nope they are not the only ones,
    Wicca accepts and acknowledges the christian hell and it's fires exsist.

As for the bit linked to, there are many ways to read that.

So muslims and jews don't believe in it?

• Advertisement

I would suggest you ask in the islamic forum for a proper answer.

Judaism does not believe in hell but that the soul rests until judgement day and then is judged for it's deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Wow. That joke is as old as Wicca........really old...

At least 50 years or so...

Why do Wiccans believe in the Christian hell? Do they believe in it literally? Do they think non-Christians can end up there?

Why would non christains end up in hell unless they had manged to piss thier gods off ?

Yes in Wicca if you break your oaths as per them and the laws your soul's future life's are forfeit and you will end up in the christian hell.

I do not believe that the christain god as domain over all of humanity and it's souls there for can not can not condem non christians to the christian hell.

Really YVMVH was a god of a few desert tribes that was co opted by people who where not members of that tribe after a person showed up claiming to be YVMVH's son.

Really if some one had of showed claiming to be Set's son instead would people be worshiping that desert god instead ?

http://www.caw.org/articles/otherpeople.html

Is Wicca older than Christianity? If so, where did Wiccans believe they went when they pissed their gods off, before christianity was invented? Do Wiccans believe in all religions?

• Advertisement

Is Wicca older than Christianity?

No.
    Do Wiccans believe in all religions?

They accept that they are all valid and there are many paths to the top of the mountain but for them there is only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Nope they are not the only ones,
    Wicca accepts and acknowledges the christian hell and it's fires exsist.
    Well, even if one takes that phrase in the ardanes literally - as not just cursing to an afterlife of everlasting torment but to exactly the same afterlife of everlasting torment that Christians who have broken their laws are meant to go to according to their creed - it's not true to say that it refers to the same concept of hell that Christians have of it. Those Christians who believe in hell don't generally describe it as a place where bad Christians and oath-breaking Wiccans go to, by any branch of Christianity I've ever heard of.

For that matter it could just be read as saying you are impeded from reincarnating. To remain outside of it all and never again to meet my kin again after this life seems a pretty horrendous curse as a Wiccan, the brimstone et al would just be decoration.

/Edit: To answer the OP's original question. However much people may debate about what does or doesn't pre-date Gardner, I'm pretty sure a variant of that old joke (which exists with various religions being in various happy or unhappy positions) could be found long before his time :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I thought it was hilarious.

I hadn't heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Jesjes wrote: »
    I thought it was hilarious.

I hadn't heard it before.

Me too, gave me a smile... :)

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Pretty funny. Just whats needed on a slow day at work.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement