Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid to turn down Big 4?

Options
  • 03-05-2008 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I recently received an offer from a big 4 to train in audit. I have also recently received an offer from a small firm (I believe there are 17 people, plus about 5-10 trainees). I know the Big 4 would good on the CV, but I would get expierence in all areas at the small firm. Also, I'm not sure if I want to just do audit, though if I would choose to after becoming qualified, I know the Big 4 firm woulg get me a job anywhere. Is there room to move around after you qualify at a Big 4? Will I be able to get a job outside of auditing? Is there really a difference at the rate you advance and receive a pay increase? I know most will tell me that turning down a Big 4 is stupid. I am sorta feeling that way. I guess it doesn't help that the person I'm dating lives in Ireland and I don't want to have to leave for the summer (I'm a non-EU/EEA national), and the smaller firm offers an immediate start.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm not in audit but i am big 4 and the main thing I would consider is who's paying your exam fees etc. The big 4 will pay for all your training, course materials, exams etc and will enhanse the CV. Smaller firms generally cannot afford the same perks, plus there is the social aspect, would you not rather be with 40-50+ trainees about the same age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

I wouldn't say it's stupid to turn them down if for the right reasons. If you see yourself setting up a practice some day I imagine working in a smaller firm would be an advantage, as you have already said you will be exposed to more areas of accounting than you would have the chance to in a Big 4.

On the flip side, if you were to go back home to the States(think you said it in another thread) having a Big 4 on your CV means you'd get a better job quicker. If you were to stay with the Big 4 there's even a chance you could just transfer back home. About being pigeon holed in Audit, from talking to a few partners in one particular Big 4 firm they seem happy enough to let you transfer around the company once you pass your FAE's. There's more of a shift towards increasing trainee retention, to do that they'll have to allow you to move around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Thanks. I have no intention moving back to the States, which is why I'm interested in a Big 4. I know coming out of a Big 4 in audit would pretty much mean that any company would sponsor me for a green card to remain in Ireland or elsewhere in Europe. This is something that is very important to me as well.

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Fruiti

I'm also in a Big 4, not audit but several people who trained in audit have transferred to my dept upon finishing their contract and some beforehand. So you wouldn't be pigeonholed at all upon finishing. The other great ting about the Big 4 is that even though you'll be working in the same dept for 3 years you'll work on loads of huge clients and many people go to work for former clients upon finishing their contract. And as someone else already said, the training you'll receive will be fantastic not to mention the study leave, for example, I got 13 weeks study leave for my FAEs (some taken from overtime worked) while my friend who works in a small firm got 7 weeks. Good luck!!

Advertisement