Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've got spam...

Options
  • 03-05-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

- This week, the world will mark an anniversary that has changed the face -- and other anatomical regions -- of email inboxes everywhere: the first known spam email was sent 30 years ago on Saturday.
    (Advertisement)

But the message sent on May 3, 1978 by a marketer for the now defunct DEC computer company to around 400 people on the west coast of the United States wasn't called spam, and the sender dispatched it without ill intent.

How things have changed.

Spam got its name from a skit by the television show "Monty Python's Flying Circus," in which a group of Vikings in a restaurant that serves all of its food with Spam tinned meat sing a song repeating the word ad nauseum, says Brad Templeton, who has thoroughly researched the subject.

"Thus, the meaning of the term at least: something that keeps repeating and repeating to great annoyance," Templeton, who was dabbling in the Internet in the 1970s -- when it was still the US government-run Arpanet -- says on his website.

These days spamming is a sophisticated operation that affects millions and jams ill-prepared email inboxes.

The percentage of spam sent to account holders on Gmail -- the email service offered by Google -- quadrupled between 2004 and 2008, climbing from 20 percent to around 80 percent.

"To give you some sense of scale, we have tens of millions of users worldwide," Gmail's Jason Freidenfelds told AFP, adding that only about one percent of spam gets through Gmail's spam-filtering system, according to user feedback.

Spam methodology has also changed in the past 30 years.

Whereas the sender of the first spam had to type in each recipient's address individually, today the job is often done remotely using cyber-monsters called botnets.

Botnets have hijacked around 30 percent of personal and office computers with inadequate security features and use them to dispatch thousands of spams each day, Templeton told AFP.

"The recruited computers wait for commands that come through anonymous channels and tell them to send spam email to 1,000 people, all unbeknownst to their owners. The people who do this control millions of computers around the world," Templeton said.

"Don't look to the guy to your left, don't look to the guy to your right. It's you," he said ominously.

Spam content and motives have also evolved since the 1978 message, which was an invitation to a product launch.

Spams today come from Nigerian "princes" or fictitious relatives of deceased African dictators intent on hoodwinking email account holders into parting with bank details or cash, in exchange for a slice of the wealth stashed in an offshore account.

More vicious spammers last year shut down government and business websites in European Union member Estonia by bombarding servers with traffic, a technique also used by a new breed of spammer, the online extortionist.

"The extortionist says, 'Lovely business you have, would be terrible if something happened to it.' And if you don't pay protection money, they get machines to just pound away at the web server all day so it can no longer work," said Templeton.

But the most common form of spam remains the unsolicited message that tries to sell you a replica Rolex, a miracle weight loss formula, or medication to enlarge anatomical parts or enhance sexual prowess.

Twelve percent of Internet users have bought something offered to them by spam, Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at IT security company Sophos, told AFP.

"Maybe these people are too embarrassed to go to their doctor or they want to save some money, but we have to educate them to report spam, delete spam, but absolutely never buy off spam," he said.

"A Brazilian model died after using weight loss pills she bought off spam ... The person who spams does not have a strong ethical sense," he warned.

Last year, 75 percent of Americans who were tricked by Internet fraudsters into parting with 239.09 million dollars (152.5 million euros) were ensnared through a spam message, according to a report by the FBI.

But despite the warnings, the spammers still fish and people still bite.

"P.T Barnum was right when he said there's a sucker born every minute," said Templeton. "I'll expand it to say there's a sucker spammed every second."

30 years old tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Post reported for spam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I don't have trouble with spam, it all goes into my, er, spam folder in Gmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i read that as "sperm", i thought it was going to be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭co_co

spam was filtered by my mail server:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

co_co wrote: »
    spam was filtered by my mail server:D

:eek: How will you know if you are the heir to USD$25 MILLION left by an African King??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

12 % of people have bought something offered by spam, can't believe that, people are stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

MooseJam wrote: »
    12 % of people have bought something offered by spam, can't believe that, people are stupid

Why? millions of people all over the world buy things because of tv adverts why would spam be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Gmail ... have to agree ... never been inundated with spam while using gmail but my hotmail account is just :eek: annoying!

Not surprised that 12% have bought things from spam because spam wouldn't be sent so often if it wasn't successful with even a small % of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I didn't think there was email in 1978!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

mental07 wrote: »
    I don't have trouble with spam, it all goes into my, er, spam folder in Gmail.
    Mine too but Gmail spam protection is not that perfect anymore.. So I got some spam once in few days recently..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

<3 gmail!!1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Mine too but Gmail spam protection is not that perfect anymore.. So I got some spam once in few days recently..

So report it as spam. Gmail's got the best protection, support it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have hotmail and I have not once received spam since I set it up in 2001. I had yahoo before that and I got so much spam.

My dad likes to read out some of the spam he gets to us, some of it is very entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

SDooM wrote: »
    So report it as spam. Gmail's got the best protection, support it. :)
    I do that all the time. ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Gmail ... have to agree ... never been inundated with spam while using gmail but my hotmail account is just :eek: annoying!
    Mine's the opposite. Rarely get anything to Hotmail but my Gmail which I rarely ever used is inundated with the stuff.

Advertisement