Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ty 'educational absence'?

Options
  • 03-05-2008 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi all was hoping to do some work with charity organisation in ty, may require missing some school, what are my chances? pretty sure i can get permission but dunno how well it'l go down with dept.of education. opionions?thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you miss more than 20 days in the year, regardless of the reason, your school is obliged by law to inform the National Educational Welfare Board. Talk to your Principal/HSL teacher and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

spurious wrote: »
    If you miss more than 20 days in the year, regardless of the reason, your school is obliged by law to inform the National Educational Welfare Board. Talk to your Principal/HSL teacher and see what they say.

Does that depend on whether or not the person is over 16?

Edit: Just found thje answer to my own question. This is from the National Education Welfare Board:
    "It is not necessary to report a student who:
    - is following Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) or Adult Education Programmes
    - has reached the age of 16 years and completed 3 years postprimary education, unless the student has been suspended or
    expelled."

So, if you're over 16 and the school and your parents are on board, the it looks like you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

even if you are reported, unless you have missed 20days of vital curriculum components, or have basically wasted 20 days been hungover/drunk/mitching and not doing anything worthwhile, the welfare board will merely just file your name in one of their filing cabinets, and your attendance may be monitored for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

Even if you did miss over 20 days to be honest the whole system is a joke and probably nothing will happen. I know some kids who are in primary school and have been in 20 days of the whole year because their parents are too drugged up to take them to school- have Social Services/Educational Welfare board done anything? No.

Your school or the Welfare Board are certainly not going to make a big deal out of you missing school because you're doing charity work!! (Kudos for doing charity work btw!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

TY is no different from a year out anyway, just do it. I took half the year off when I did it and it was for the better, now I'm set for a good leaving, you really don't need to go in for TY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

to be honest i really dont think you'd be reported for missing much TY regardless of the law regarding absences after the age of 16, if your school actually gives a damn id be surprised, however kudos to you for getting up of your arse and sorting out your year before it comes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It's easy as piss to take time off school in TY as long as it's for a good reason, me and my friend are heading to a boarding school in the south of France near Monaco for 3 months next year during TY. Just need permission from our year head and principal to be allowed go.

My friend who was in TY this year went to a professional golf academy for 6 months while he was doing TY where he was trained by some of the top pro's etc.

As long as it's of benefit to you they'll most likely allow you to take the time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Yeah i agree.. any reason is good enough!
    and Do thake the time off! it'll be worth it!

Advertisement