Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro Hydropower

Options
  • 03-05-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are grants available for installing a micro hydro turbine. Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

colrow wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are grants available for installing a micro hydro turbine. Thanks for any info

I cant answer that for you im afraid, but i think there is not yet.

I believe though that there are very significant set up costs on this, and at the moment the esb are not in a position to take any excess generation into the grid.

Im not very well versed in this area but i would be careful and do plenty of homework ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

snyper wrote: »

I believe though that there are very significant set up costs on this, and at the moment the esb are not in a position to take any excess generation into the grid.

Im not very well versed in this area but i would be careful and do plenty of homework ;)

Thanks for replying anyway, I have friend who has no esb connection, so it would be completley off grid anyway, a 1.5kw micro turbine can be got for about £1k from the uk, which generates 230 vac continuously, so it seemed ideal for her.

In the Farmers Journal they have been doing articles on alternative energy, and the next edition due out thursday I think, there is an article about micro hydro power.

I hope there will be more than the usual general overview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Il get somone in the office run out and get that for me.

I dnt want to be seen buying the Farmers Journal :p:D

Il get somone in the office run out and get that for me.

I dnt want to be seen buying the Farmers Journal :p:D

I got the fj and i'll be buggered if i can find any article about it:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Colrow how did you get on with this one, I've an interest myself and my boss is looking for info, you have any helpful sites in this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Colrow, any help here would be appreciated...
    Am doing a self build at the moments, and a nice steady stream goes under our entrance to site.
    I found a site in the UK selling complete systems, but there is a lack of information available....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

What site is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Well, I don't want to link to a selling site, but here is some very interesting sites with good info,
    http://www.homepower.com/basics/hydro/
    http://www.homepower.com/view/?file=HP117_pg40_Cunningham
    http://www.reuk.co.uk/hydro.htm
    Also, do a search for 'mini water' on google
    Also renewablecomponents
    I'm only at the start of the research into this at the moment, so all help and advice would be appreciated

Advertisement