Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help:How do i get motivated?

Options
  • 03-05-2008 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Since Easter ive been goin through periods of study and then periods of doing nothing! Ive done about two good weeks of study since easter and I have done nothing now for a bout 2 weeks,LITERALLY NOTHING!!
    Im finding it so hard to motivate myself, and i dont know where to start.

I got 280 in the mocks and am going for 345 overall, I know if i can start soon i will get my points but its just not happening!!

What should i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

I'm pretty crap at motivating myself to study, I have done nothing all day!

I will go do an hour or three now....

btw, good motivation:

Do you want to spend another 4 weeks in school? Or another 56 weeks in School? Its up to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I take days off school and it's just sooo boring at home that I get piles of study done. But that might work very very badly for people.

Just turn off your computer and music and all distractions, sit down with your bag, take out some book and learn some ****, then if/when you get fed up of that subject leave the book to the side and take out a different one..

Take breaks when you're absolutely fed up. I can go for longer by putting on music while I go over things I've already revised pretty well instead of breaking.

I've got all my books to my left and I been working up and down them like mad the last few days..

I think it's good to be able to know that your study is being effective, so I keep my phone out and write times before I begin doing e.g. maths or accounting Qs, then at the end calculate how long the Q took to find if I would be doing well in my leaving cert (usually I would be and it's good, otherwise it just takes more practice or revision).

I used to put my books well-away before I go on the computer which was such a bad idea.. I can study pretty great now but before about last week I woulda felt just like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 uskidsgo

As a 1st year in college, believe me: 5 or 6 weeks of work now is definately worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Unless you study your life is fecked because your going to be in the hole that is your school for the next year while all your friends are having fun in college, and if your unlucky you might have to learn a completely new course so some of what you learnt this year could be absolutely pointless, but if you study properly next year is gonna be great, ya feel?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Procrastination is the thief of time. Imagine how you will feel in august when you open your results. will it be good or bad? now get out a book start, making notes, study! its your life, grow up, take control!
    (ever feel like your writing to yourself? anyone?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Ya I'm the exact same as you, I find it impossible to study. Like I'd say all year I've just about done my homework most days!

But for the past month I've stopped going to school, and Just set aside an hour or two and just study a specific thing.
    I know its not much for most people but thats good for me, as I've done nothing all year.
    So dont stress yourself trying to study all day as you know you just wont, try and just do maybe an hour a day at the start, then try and do longer after....

Best off luck any, I'm hoping to get around 300 aswell, and I got 260 in my mocks ( pure flucke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You've got to cop on and get yourself into a decent routine. It's not all that hard. Knowing where to start is probably the biggest issue. But just go to a quiet place, pick a random subject (one you like) and start at chapter 1. Make small, scrappy notes when you study, ie. make sure you're writing all the time when you study and are not just staring blankly at a page. Resist any urges to leave and go listen to music/go online/watch TV etc., but do take 10-15 minute breaks every 40/50 mins.

And please do remember that if you don't study, that it IS your fault, and not just that you're not as naturally motivated/intelligent as other people. With that attitude, you'll get absolutely nowhere in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

You'll need to blag a script for some sort of amphetamine from your doctor. Display the classic signs off ADHD and if your lucky he will give you Ritalin. Otherwise you will have to score nasty street speed which has a dreadful comedown. But at least you won't mind studying when you're up. Hope this helps.

p.s. Don't get addicted.

Advertisement