Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Day in WOW

Options
  • 03-05-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hey All, have just picked up a copy of WOW and played a couple of hours and I am really enjoying it. Though feeling a little out of my depth after reading some of the threads here and other forums.

So any tips for a newcomer to help get the most out of the game would be really appreciated!!

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Enjoy it while it lasts ;)

That shiny and new feeling usually doesnt last beyond level 40 or so and is probably one of the best things about WoW.

Just have fun and take it slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Ivan wrote: »

Just have fun and take it slow.

And make sure she's wet enough

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

WellyJ wrote: »
    And make sure she's wet enough
    True. And bring a mage in case you run out of wetness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Funny how quick this thread spiraled out of control :pac::pac:
    Make sure you listen to what the quest givers have to say and not try to move on too fast, and don't start worrying about gear too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

download quest helper. It shows you where the objectives are on the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Anti wrote: »
    download quest helper. It shows you where the objectives are on the map.

YUSH!

Get a few addons, simple ones like Atlas & Atlas loot.

Never buy any gear, get it all from quests and instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

If you do do a few successful dungeons(Instances) with people add them to your friends list so they are easier to find for later ones. Maybe set a time with them to do dungeons or quests. It will help you to get quests done quicker and have a party that you can depend on.

Few I added on my warlock in early instances about the same level worked well together, me (dps), a priest and a warrior. Was fun as knew who was doin wat and knew they weren't gonna leave in middle of the run. But I was home later than them and they wanted to start early in outlands so fell behind :( But we all climed from about 20/30 till 60ish together in dungeons mainly. On a 53 rogue now and only got 1 reliable warrior added this time leveling though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Dont play as a hunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Dont play as a hunter.

What makes you say that? they are meant to be the easiest and quickest to lvl.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And thats why everyone hatesd them :D...most realms have hunters coming out of the woodwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Anti wrote: »
    What makes you say that? they are meant to be the easiest and quickest to lvl.

And they also become mind numbingly boring in raids, imo.

I abandoned mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Stick to one character. Maybe try out every class to level 15 or 20 to see what you like, but ultimately stick to one. I played wow for 2 years and my highest character is only 64 (I've got loads and loads stuck in their 30s and 40s scattered through different realms)

It's very unsatisfying to have a load of mid levels, so just make one char and maybe one alt. Or two.... Sure you might aswell make another while you're at it. Oh you have to try them all on the other faction too.... (see where I'm coming from?)

Oh oh, start out on a non pvp server so you can have both horde and alliance characters on the one server. Nasty having them over different realms.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are really only a few roles to fill so it depends what you want to do.

1. Tank. You are the big dumb guy who tries to keep the bad guy hitting you rather then anyone else. Not as easy a role as people seem to think as you have to manage the mobs and protect the casters. Classes for this are Warrior (duh!) and to a lesser extent Druids and Paladins.

2. Secondary Tank and DPS (damage per second). Sometimes these are the same people sometimes two players. Second Tank's job is to help kill the main mob. If a second mob runs along then its his job to take care of it and stop it rushing the Mage/Shamen. Which it will.
    DPS is the guy who is really killing the mob. Usually this is a caster (if non tank) or a Druid/Rogue/Hunter if he is also going to be second tank. his job is to do nothing for a while, and when the mob is good and angry with the Tank, to open a gigantic can of WHOOPASS on it.
    In this respect, Mage are really in a class of their own. If you want to kill a lot of things in a very short space of time, a bunch of Mages are what you need. They are, however, delicate little souls and die if flicked by a finger. The destruction they can wrought in a very short space of time in an emergency is pretty impressive!

Finally we have Healer. Healers heal. Its a very boring but highly necessary job. You target the tank and basically keep him alive. Everyone shouts at you when they die even if they were idiots. :)

My advice to a newbie is: Read. Read about things like Aggro management, read the fansites and the strats for each class. Read everything you can. Also learn what the Assist button is and learn how to use it with your Tank. Its absolutely vital and hopelessly overlooked by 90% of people. The same 90% of people who never make the end game or stay in a guild..... coincidence?

After that, have fun. Its supposed to be fun but too many people treat it like a second job.

If I were you, I'd start a mage. They are good fun and you are always in the middle of the fight (usually as some mob's latest favourite chew-toy).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Tried a mage myself and didn't like it - gave up at L35. Have a 70 rogue and shammy. Rogue I loved from the start but then they nerfed the subtlety tree and combat just wasn't as much fun. Well maybe it was but I'd played it for over a year so I could just have been bored. So leveled up the shammy - great fun. You can choose between caster, melee or healer. For versatility I'd recommend one. Now I'm levelling up a warlock. It's a good class to play too. At level 20 you get your own pet tank for solo questing and the dps is great in instances.

But like others said - read the fansites - see what the different classes can do and see what takes your fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Oh yeah - to reiterate what Genghiz Cohen said - don't worry about money at the start. You won't need to buy any gear. Do quests and instances and you'll get the gear you need. The first weapon I bought for my rogue was at L70 - and that was the exalted dagger from the Scryers. Even then I only used it for about 2 months til I got a better one in Karazhan.

What server you on and which side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Whatever you do go for a DPS class for your first character, I rolled a warrior first and couldn't understand why everybody wanted me to tank while I just wanted to kill stuff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

join a guild, theres plenty for new to not so newbie levels....currently myself with an irish one - Elitez - on Emerald Dream server ...pve

they will tend to help you level up higher quests for eg (more xp) as they ultimately want to hold onto you once you cap 70...i think this is a good idea

dont be surprised if you get bored of levelling, take a break for a few days. You'll soon find yourself with that niggling void...walker :P
    myself, im a warlock, which i really like...as you are damaging from a distance
    i help a mate sometimes in raids with his warrior which is more close combat/frenzied runarounds than a warlock ....... i dont understand them that much yet

with talents be careful
    look at the specs of members of top guilds to get an idea of who has what for which class

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

DeVore wrote: »
    Finally we have Healer. Healers heal. Its a very boring but highly necessary job. You target the tank and basically keep him alive. Everyone shouts at you when they die even if they were idiots. :)
    Is it strange that I find healing fun? One of my fondest memories was pugging SH, only for the tank to drop out leaving myself (priest), 2 frost mages and a hunter (scorpion pet) 4 manning most of it. Absolute mayhem, but strangely entertaining. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Yeah, there is something inantely fun about healing. Knowing that you are pretty much all that seperates your group from wiping horribly, has a very satisfying feeling seconded only by tanking.

But for high end instances (and alot of the middle and lower ones too) healing and tanking can be a very frustrating experience that just makes you want to pull all your hair out. These feelings are magnified many times by being in a PUG group.

Advertisement