Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies in Bahrain ?

Options
  • 03-05-2008 5:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Just curious to see if there any other boardsies currently residing out here in Bahrain. Transferred out with the company yesterday so this is my first proper day here. Only been here once before for about two days so still unsure of the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

So i'm the only one then ? Bugger.

I have to go take a drive now tonight and find a petrol station and the single off licence in bahrain. I hate driving here, the Arabs are crazy drivers on the roads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I worked in Qatar for a year last year, we went up to Bahrain to play in the Gulf Gaelic Football Championships - that was on in the rugby club, so I reckon if you head out to the rugby club you'll meet more Irish there. And yes those Arabs are crazy on the road alright!

Didn't realise that there was a rugby club here actually - thanks for that.

I tried the Irish bars here Thursday night (not because I generally go to Irish bars when out foreign mind you), no Irish but got talking to a couple of English lads and a Kiwi lad. Nightlife is actually surprisingly good here ! Locals are really friendly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

do you know if its possible to find work there on arrival or do you have to be posted there?

Depends what sort of work you'd be after to be honest. I'm in the engineering field and had to get transferred here.

I've heard of a few lads from home who came out and managed to get bar manager positions (theres about 2/3 Irish bars here that like to have Irish staff).

The likes of store assistant positions are all staffed by philipinos so there wouldnt be any chance of that sort of work i'd reckon.

If you need any more info or anything feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

How are you finding it so far?

I did a lot of work out in Bahrain over the past 5 years, on average 4-5 months a year, and to be fair, I love the place, and am thinking of moving over.

Not too bad - i'm after getting used to the driving and stuff which was kind of my main issue and i'm starting to find where everything is to some extent. Another month or two and I should be alright I think !

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

my cousin Johnathan is out there and is a lurker!

i really must call over.

Advertisement