Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most innovative thing your pet has ever done??

Options
  • 02-05-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

My parents have a geriatric cat.... not a particularly nice friendly tabby, probably 13 or 14 now but in perfect health.

Anyhow, he sleeps mostly outdoors in a kennel which had started falling asunder, so I donated my Kat Kabin which my own cat hated to him.

It a really well insulated kennel with a flap door and he loves it!!

But now that its a bit sunny in the morning its getting a bit warm in the kennel.

So what had puss done?? He uses his paw to keep the flap slightly open so it creates ventilation!!!!

He'll happily sleep away with his paw keeping the flap ajar.

One of the cleverest things i've ever seen an animal do!!

Anybody else have any stories about their pets ingenuity??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

we left our cat into a cattery when we went on hols and he bided his time before he made tried to make his escape. after about 3 days when the woman came into feed him(he was sitting on a shelf) he waited till she bent down to put the food in the dish and then he jumped right over her and landed at the door! unfortunately for him she of course had the door closed but the woman said that she had never seen a cat wait and plan their escape for so long!! that usually they try and break out the 1st day but he just kept an eye on her movements and routine to figure out the best time to break free!-and people say cats aren't clever;)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I bring my dog for a walk down along the bank of the river every day cause he loves to swim. But just as I let him off the lead he will head into the ditch and come out with his stick. YES his stick, he leaves it back in the same place out of sight when we are heading home. Actually freaked me out when I noticed it first. BUt it dose save me having to hunt for one everyday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

One of my dogs develops a limp whenever he sees a suitcase. He knows we were very concerned about him when he hurt his leg before. And he knows that when a suitcase is downstairs one or both of us will be going away for a while. So he tries to make us concerned about his leg so we'll stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

When i was younger my dog used to sleep on the end of my bed even though he wasn't supposed to. When he heard one of my parents reaching the top step of the stairs, he would get on the floor close both eyes and start snoring. This would continue until he heard their lightswitch click off as they usually popped their head in my door to say goodnight. He would then cautiously open one eye while still snoring wait a second or two then hope back on my bed and go asleep:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I had a parrot that used to mimick perfectly the Nokia Bee ringtone, and when I'd leave the room he would start "ringing" to get me to come back, and the longer I stayed out of the room the louder he would do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Um........... one of my cats can open a door if it's slightly ajar... thats clever right?? (the other will sit there mewing if the full width of his body does not fit through)

Oh now I feel like they're not the brightest!!! I'm going to go start a "silliest thing" thread!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Once when Jake was in the boot of the car on a journey, he wanted to lie down comfortably but there was a wheel brace in his way. He picked it up in his mouth and moved it over to the side of the boot carefully, then lay down in the open space he created :D I was watching him from the back seat and had to be amazed..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We have an "open food & water" policy. That means there's usually always something around that any dog can help themselves to. Senor Harvey only eats and drinks out of "his" bowls, whereas the two girls take whatever they find handy.

So it can happen, that Harveys bowls are empty ...which he doesn't tolerate well. The bowls are thin, cheap stainless steel (so not very heavy). He picks them up between his teeth and lets them drop. As the are thin they make an awful racket ...which he keeps making until "his" bowls are re-filled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Katie_Kiss

i know this is animal nature but it amazed me.

my kitty cat porsche (r.i.p) was an ejet, always tearing round the house and never sat still, just crazy kitty but very loveable and a good cat anywho, i was outside on day and i watched her for literally 2hours, she was sitting on a fence post as still as a statue, not a movment, fixated on something, i would call her but she didnt budge! nxt thing he jumps down and comes up with a mouse, she was stalking it for 2hrs!!!!! the she decided to play with it after which is lay it beside me as proud as punch.

i was so amazed cause it was her first catch and i didnt think she was that smart to be honest cause she was loony haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

My dog can open doors and my old cat used be able to open windows if even slightly ajar{and these were heavy PVC windows!!!!!}

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

peasant wrote: »
    We have an "open food & water" policy. That means there's usually always something around that any dog can help themselves to. Senor Harvey only eats and drinks out of "his" bowls, whereas the two girls take whatever they find handy.

So it can happen, that Harveys bowls are empty ...which he doesn't tolerate well. The bowls are thin, cheap stainless steel (so not very heavy). He picks them up between his teeth and lets them drop. As the are thin they make an awful racket ...which he keeps making until "his" bowls are re-filled

My other dog does something similar. Their food bowls are just outside the back door and in the morning when I put out their breakfast he grabs a huge mouthful, comes back into the kitchen and drops the food on the floor so he can eat it sitting next to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

My cats developed a bad habit a while ago of pooing in the bath (not v. innovative I know!! They didn't like a new brand of litter - it was a dirty protest). So I started to fill the bath with a shallow depth of water when I went out - so that I wouldn't have any little surprises when I came home.

Couldn't figure out for ages why it was that the bath was always empty when I came back - thought I had a leaky plug. Until one day I'm in the hall and hear a splish splash - there is Pugs the male cat, carefully making his way along the bath until he gets to the plug, pulls at the plug chain until he pulls it out and all the water goes!

He obviously like to have the option of having an empty bath there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

my friend dad used to keep terriers. when the bitches were in heat he put them up in the attic (this is 30 odd years ago). anyways he came home from owrk one day and found the dog had climbed up the ladder to the attic and got at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Blackie: (terrier mix) If the door is left slightly ajar she can open it. She was once shaking because she was cold and I started fussing over her and giving her treats. Anytime i have food she now starts shivering.

Lucky: (greyhound) When we would get greyhounds up from the country we would put them in with lucky so they would have company. they were usually pups that were used to being with their brothers and sisters so they would be pining for them. They sleep in kennels which have a concrete floor and a raises bench where they lie. Usually if a dog annoyed another dog they'd bite them, but if the pup annoyed lucky or barked while she was trying to sleep she'd growl vicously and herd it off the bench. she'd make it sleep on the floor! Instant respect.

Lucky sleeps on shreded paper and every night she paws it until its in a big ball and then lies down on it so shes nice and cosy!

Linsey: Loves affection and sleeps with Lucky but Lucky is a loner so when they are out sunbathing linsey always wants to lie with lucky. She spends over half a hour trying to inch her way to lying down beside her however when shes finally flat out lucky just gets up and moves. two years perstiance has gone a long way she now sometimes uses lucky as a pillow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Our two cats (r.i.p) learned how to maniuplate the spring in our kitchen/livingroom door to get it to pop open.. by pressing on it and making it bounce they could make the latch spring open and then stick their claws in and open it the rest of the way.

Our lab is very dexterous with his paws. His most clever habit ive noticed though is that he is very fond of having a pillow to prop his head on like a human would. He has his towels and his teddy and he brings them around with him to prop his head on when he goes to sleep. He has a hard dog basket and he will place teddy or his towels where he wants his head to go with ihs mouth (on high edge of it), and then hold it there with his paw and then lie down with his head propped on it. I think its quite clever!

(I also woke up once to my lab lying in his back beside me on my double bed, head on the pillow, snoring away... literally copying the human way of sleeping!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

anytime im eating breakfast my rat hops out of the cage, makes his way over to his shot glass and drags it over to me, i then fill it up with reddybrek and he chows down beside me. smart little fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

My 3 rats opened a jar of curry the other day. They then proceeded to dip their feet in it and walk it all over the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

If my dog (cutest dog ever) Toby wants a drink and you are downstairs he run and puts his paws at the kitchen sink. If you are upstairs then he jumps into the shower and barks!! He also treats all of my family different. He loves to sleep on a comfy chair in our dining room but he is not allowed, but he knows who lets him and who doesnt! If I'm there he barks at me to move the cushions so he can sit but if my mam walks into the room he jumps down and sits on his doggy mat!
    If the family are in the sitting room and my dad puts him out he pulls the puppy dog eyes and goes to either my mam or me before walking out really slowly (while looking back with his big eyes) and you can tell he is hoping he will be allowed back in!
    He also loves to look out the sitting room window and he usually nudges you to lift the curtain for him!

Advertisement