Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using Bluetooth GPS receiver with Symbian phone?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Nokia E51 which has the ability to receive GPS data from an external Bluetooth GPS receiver so am thinking of buying such a receiver. I will then be able (hopefully) to see my location on Nokia Maps which I have installed.

I am specifically asking in regard to phones/PDAs wihch do not have a built-in GPS receiver.

Anyone else doing this and can you offer any advice or gotchas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i am using a nokia N70 with bluetooth receiver and route66 mobile 7 software
    it seems to be the best for maps in ireland, much better than nokia maps(which i also have on the phone).

Even though nokia maps may have all the latest roads that have been built, it doesnt have all the smaller roads or some of the new estates (2yrs old)on it either.

if you find you are driving alot using the satnav be sure and bring a phone charger for the car, as it can sometimes eat into the battery (bluetooth,backlight and graffics)

if you do get route66 a trick i have found is to keep a backup of your favourite locations.. this can be done by copying from the memory card a file in the route66 folder ' prefs.ini ' this is there locations are stored, and if anything goes wrong with the satnav (not starting up) just replace the file with the back up and its back working again. i have found turning the phone off while satnav is running can have some strange effects to the satnav when run after.

if your phone doesnt have a memory card you'll have to put your phone into mass storage mode or failing that get hold of a program called FExplorer that will run on your phone and you can copy files from the hidden system folder to either the root folder or any other visible folder and vise-versa..

hope this helps

ps you can find route66 here
    http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=IE&sec=1&ssec=0&prodid=5404

be sure to check compatibility first though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks for that Steve, can you tell me which Bluetooth GPS receiver you're using? I have a 1GB MicroSD card I moved over from my Nokia 6233.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i got my receiver on e-bay(unbranded) but works fine for tracking, satnav, geocaching.

the one i got also has a solar panel for trickle charging which is handy(i just need to leave it out by the window more..)

Advertisement