Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple explantion of DTS?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 4:20pm

Can someone explain to me what this is and why it's so desirable to have on dvd releases? I have an old xbox with xbmc for viewing dvds....can this play back dts? Or do I need a fancy set up with speakers all over the place.

I tried Google but would prefer a simple straight human explanation if possible....thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its an alternative sound format to Dolby Digital. Its usually better sounding than DD as its of higher bitrate AFAIK.
    95% of all amps accept both DD and DTS over optical so should work fine when playing DVDs using XBMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Or do I need a fancy set up with speakers all over the place.

Both Dolby digital 5.1 and DTS contain 6 or more channels of discretely processed sound , you need at least a 5.1 amp and speaker setup to use either format as without it parts of the sound are going to be missing.

For instance if you only have stereo speakers and you select either format in the DVD setup , your not going to have any dialog because you have no centre speaker , and so on , so yes you do need a multi speaker setup , otherwise your better off just leaving the sound on default stereo or whatever your TV can handle.

Advertisement