Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for work in London

Options
  • 02-05-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I hope Im posting in the right place.

I intend to move to London in July/August and really need to organise a job before I go.Was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a recruitment agency in Dublin that deals with recruitment in the UK?

Seems like its going to be hard to organise a job without actually being there but it will be impossible to get a flat, support myself etc without organising one first.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Hi Ruthie,

Don't mean to take over your post, I'm moving to London for June-August as well. We didn't have any plan on getting a job sorted before we go, just to power hand out CVs when we get over there and hopefully get one as soon as possible. If anyone has any other tips please advise though- any websites that are good for this?

Also, we've been wondering if you need a work number or something similar to work in the U.K. or can you just work if you are an irish citizen straight away?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 K-town

Hi guys

I currently live in London, I came over last summer and had to find work , I was lucky because I was staying with family so didnt have to worry about rent, etc

neither of you say what sort of work you are looking for so I will assume its admin/ secretarial stuff and from my expereince you will be hard pushed to find work during the summer months because there are loads of students about.

I worked temporarily in a large recruitment agency in the city and we had maybe 30-40 people registering a day with us june july and august and that was only one office we had another 2 in the west end.

if you caqn both hold off unti mid-late august you may find it easier to find work

i dont know of any recruitment agencies in dublin that recruit for london but i know office angels have offices in dublin and london but the ones in london will want to meet you before giving you any work

off the top of my head recruitment agencies you may want to try are

office angels- really good for crappy admin work
    angela mortimer- who i worked for (really large recruitment agency with different specialities ie media, finance, legal, general admin)
    adecco- again have different specialities

there is also a really good website secsinthecity.com (or .co.uk- cant quite remember) which lists plenty of jobs in and around the city.

one final thing, i dont know what your experience is like for admin but it s extremely competitive for jobs but in saying that if you can get one pay starts at £10/hr!

hope the above helps

anything else pm me or post here again

catherine x

Thanks so much for your reply Catherine, it's really helpful.

I'm a student and will just be in London for the summer months so I guess I'm one of those pesky students taking all the jobs - or at least hope to be!

I'll take any work available I guess as I'll need money as soon as possible, I have a decent amount of experience in different fields so should be ok I think.

Regarding the National Insurance number, did you get one before you went over or do you get one when you get your first job?

Any idea what we should be paying for a 2 bedroom flat near the centre? Zone 1 or 2 preferably.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 K-town

im originally from northern ireland so already had a national insurance number, if you look up the department of work and pensions that should give you some information and probably a few numbers to call.

about the flat a 2 bed near central london probably starts at around £1000+/ month for somewhere decent and thats before bills it depends where you want to live, zone 2 is perfectly adequate to live in- monthly travel for zones 1 and 2 is £90/month and thats train, tube and bus day and night. i personally would recommend clapham, wandsworth, balham clapham junction, etc for 2 reasons

1. really close to gatwick- so cheap ryanair flights and gatwick is not as chaotic as heathrow and
    2. good trendy places to live especially around clapham and balham plenty of bars, clubs etc.

when you are choosing somewhere to live it will depend on where you are working but clapham and balham are on the northern line so really easy to get to waterloo and wandsworth/clapham junction has the overground to both waterloo and victoria within 10 mins so links to pretty much every tube line in london.

good websites to check are

moveflat.com (probably the best)
    gumtree.co.uk

hope this helps, anymore questions give me a shout

xxx

Sounds good Catherine, thanks for the info! Might be in touch :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement