Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers in TV/Film - Why? Why? Why?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else get pissed off when they see computers being used in a way that is nothing like they are used in real life? I saw Iron Man last night (which is class btw), there was some wonderful use of computers in it that was nothing like the way anything i've ever used...

I can't think of many films where they show computers with something like Windows or OSX or Linux or whatever installed, they always have these fake-ass gui's with all this nonsense type file structure and stuff...

It wrecks my head every time i see stuff like this, why? Everyone uses PC's in this day and age, so why don't they portray them (computers) in a realistic light?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I hate the GUI's they use in movies...few strokes of the keyboard, big flash messages 'DOWNLOADING FILES/UPLOADING VIRUS/ACCESSING TOP SECRET PENTAGON FILES'. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What's worse are the little beeps and noises that accompany every keystroke! And no-one ever seems to use a mouse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

CSI: Miami rapes the technological side of my brain on a regular basis whenever I have to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

And they can keep guessing passwords without ever locking the account out, despite it being the most important account in the world!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was it The Core that had that guy (he looks like a rat if I remember correctly) who had to control the whole internet and stop news about what they were doing getting released. He also picked up someone's phone, then made a wierd wistlely sound into it and then told the guy he had free long distance calls. I love that whole hackers can do anything with a piece of technology type stuff. Die hard 4 was riddled with it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I never see a windows autorun box when they insert a usb stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Most of it is because (at least I guess so) any of the normal GUI's are too small to portray on screen. Imagine the log in box for Windows in any of the scenes on any movie you've seen and you'd realise that it would be practically unreadable unless they did an extreme close up which kind of defeats the purpose of involving actors :D

Hence the huge password boxes that take up the whole screen and very large (DOS 2.x style) text on the screen.

Icons with 8pt descriptions suffer from the same problem, hence no mouse.

But I have seen Windows desktops in the background of some scenes in films, just not in the forefront being used by the actors.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are never any typing errors either. BackSpace doesnt exist in HollyWood.

FYI - I've used it 3 times writing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Die hard 4 was riddled with it as well.

Oh that annoyed the hell out of me, they had all these lovely scenes of people typing for 5 minutes to get something to run, why not create a shortcut on your desktop???
    Boom_Bap wrote: »

FYI - I've used it 3 times writing this.

7 or 8 times here... :o

Die hard 4 was riddled with it as well.
    True, but at least it had the somewhat realistic social engineering scene in the BMW (?) to show someone with a bit of knowledge may actually have been consulted at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

True, but at least it had the somewhat realistic social engineering scene in the BMW (?) to show someone with a bit of knowledge may actually have been consulted at some stage.
    What was that. I can't remember that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sure everyone knows if you want to hack heavy encryption you only need 9 monitors all with rotating 3D cube interfaces. (guess the movie).

Or my favourite: "This is a Unix system. I know this."

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Hobbes wrote: »
    Sure everyone knows if you want to hack heavy encryption you only need 9 monitors all with rotating 3D cube interfaces. (guess the movie).

Or my favourite: "This is a Unix system. I know this."

oh oh oh..I know this....but for some reason the only other scene I remember is yer man getting a bj whilst completing some big hack, plus he had a gun to his head!!...(well so did the brid, but anyways!:pac:)..

ah, swordfish !

What was that. I can't remember that bit.
    McClaine and I'm A Mac were in the car trying to get it started, but were unable to hotwire it. So I'm A Mac calls up the company in control of the remote starter (!) of the car and starts giving this story about how he is with his father and the father is having a heart attack and he needs to be able to get him to the hospital but can't find/has lost the key. Haven't seen the film since it was first out, so thats how my bad memory recalls it though not all details may be entirely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

McClaine and I'm A Mac were in the car trying to get it started, but were unable to hotwire it. So I'm A Mac calls up the company in control of the remote starter (!) of the car and starts giving this story about how he is with his father and the father is having a heart attack and he needs to be able to get him to the hospital but can't find/has lost the key. Haven't seen the film since it was first out, so thats how my bad memory recalls it though not all details may be entirely accurate.
    Yep, that was pretty much the scene. Social engineering ftw. :)

I'm a mac - lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The only thing that bugs me is the digital photo or photo editing stuff that happens. I want whatever photo packages they have.:pac: Zoom in, I want that face!

Ruu wrote: »
    The only thing that bugs me is the digital photo or photo editing stuff that happens. I want whatever photo packages they have.:pac: Zoom in, I want that face!
    Not to mind that the photo was taken on a 0.001 megapixel camera and consists pretty much of the colour grey, you can still get a completely perfect photo ID of the bad guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Ruu wrote: »

Enemy of the State rings a bell here. They were looking at a paused security camera feed and someone asks to rotate the camera angle to see behind something. Which they then do bullet time style. Cracks me up every time I see it. Wish I had a shop that had cameras to cover every conceivable angle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I just love the film sneakers for all those reasons. (OK the bit about hooking it up to the modem and instantly connecting in was plot device)

Walt Disney's the blackhole used wireframe graphics on screen because they felt people would not believe computers could do rendering :rolleyes:

And the 3D interface on the desktop in Jurassic Park was real, 1993 and was 3D in a way Vista still isn't
    http://nooface.net/3dui.shtml
    FSN - Produces a 3D rendering of a file system. This was the original 3D file system navigator shown in Jurassic Park ("Hey, this is UNIX. I know this!").(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Great Thread :)
    I actually feel like hitting the tv whenever something like CSI comes on where they have transparent touchscreen lcd's floating in front of them and ridiculous UI's where everything is done with one click. Its like the computer just reads your mind to find out what you want!
    There are other shows too that do my head in. Smallville for example, I have started watching that again recently and its a goodish show. But good god.. the computer related bits are terrible. Take one of the most recent episodes as a casing point. A guy is given the task of spying on someones computer. He inserts his huge flash disk and "Uploading Adware" appears in huge writing on the screen. Then the computer owner comes back and wants to know who is spying on her and with one mouse click she has the full name and address of the person that installed this adware!! It really goddam wrecks a show!

There are sooo many other examples I could think of too.. Nearly every movie and tv show which uses computers in some way does a terrible job of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

dilbert-unix.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

never laughed so much in a long time..

love this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

Independece day, when will smith and yer man fly into the mothership and upload a virus. Mmmmm Just like an alien ship from millions of years away is running windows ffs and ipv4 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Andy27981 wrote: »
    Independece day, when will smith and yer man fly into the mothership and upload a virus. Mmmmm Just like an alien ship from millions of years away is running windows ffs and ipv4 lol

Though they were in one of the alien ships themselves and would have hooked straight into the Mother Ship's mainframe when they docked. They would have been able to design the virus based on what they knew from the computer on board the smaller ship used. Duh. :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What I wondered was how apple had such good penetration in movies. Very high percentage of macs v's real life. Dell and HP seem to be making some inroads there, but overall the amount of macs in films seems very high to me.

I realised that only a true geek can immediately tell the brand of computer they're using in tv / film. :o
    Boom_Bap wrote: »

Oh YEAH! Madness. Never noticed that before.
    zod wrote: »
    <dilbert>

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

-annex- wrote: »
    Enemy of the State rings a bell here. They were looking at a paused security camera feed and someone asks to rotate the camera angle to see behind something. Which they then do bullet time style. Cracks me up every time I see it. Wish I had a shop that had cameras to cover every conceivable angle.

Well I know the camera didn't capture that angle but he asks "can the computer take us to the other side" to which Jack Black's character says "the computer can hypothesis". Which is kinda alright since they're not trying to pass it off as the camera picking up something it clearly didn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just thinking about it 24 is another brilliant one for the computers.. Able to do some fantastical stuff with those devices... I mean like it takes Chloe like 2 seconds to type something that gives her all the cameras in the city, and another 1 or 2 seconds to be able to grab the exact photo she needs, and then she can magically access details such as the licence plate number from a camera pointing at the roof or something stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Minority Report. Waving your arms about like that has to be one of the most unpractical input methods in existence. Within 30 minutes, your arms would be practically falling off, I'm not sure exactly how you are supposed to be able to use it for longer periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Sherifu wrote: »
    I never see a windows autorun box when they insert a usb stick.

Floppies ftw

A floppy was good enough for Sandra Bullock in The Net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ahh but it wasn't floppy for long :D
    beerbaron wrote: »
    Floppies ftw

A floppy was good enough for Sandra Bullock in The Net

Advertisement