Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Fortress 2: Free Weekend

Options
  • 02-05-2008 11:56am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, Valve have decided to give a free weekend trial to everyone. From today (2nd) to the 4th of May, you can download and play TF2 for free. I'd recommend everyone who has steam, and hasnt played the game, do so now. Great fun.
    http://www.steampowered.com/goldrush/

I also realise there is a Half Life forum, but i figured more people would see it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I pre-loaded it yesterday, and i am not able to play it yet :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's a clever move coz anyone who plays it over the free weekend WILL buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

just started downloading, I wonder will it be finished before the weekend is over, it's pretty big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Thanks for the info, guess ill give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Sweet!
    Theres an Irish server too btw

Team Fortress 2 - 24 Player
    78.137.160.11:27017

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

It's a clever move coz anyone who plays it over the free weekend WILL buy it.

Wrong.

Not a great game imo. Maybe it's because it's the free weekend and people don't know how to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I love these "free steam" weekends :D Great idea

TF2, I liked it but I wont buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

/me gets it now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Didn't wanna create a new thread, so just dug up an old one.

But Team Fortress 2 is free again for this weekend...well..actually starting now...so for 5 days I guess :) as part of their new update.
    Welcome to Day One of the Über Update--the biggest, most ambitious update in the history of Team Fortress 2.

We've got a lot to announce as we get closer to the update's release this Thursday, June 23rd. We've been holding one of the surprises pretty close to the vest for months now. We don't want to ruin it, but we'll give you four clues to get you guessing:

1.) It IS a "Meet the" short.
    2.) It involves ONE of the two remaining classes.
    3.) It's NOT the Pyro.
    4.) It's the MEDIC.

Let the speculation begin! While you're puzzling that out, why not click over to the first of our class pack announcements: Mobster Monday. To make sure everything was as accurate as possible, we went deep undercover at the most Italian place we could find, The Olive Garden. We asked the Mafia about a million questions, none of which they understood, because our mouths were full of all the free breadsticks the Mafia gives you when you visit them (they're not such bad guys).

All that hanging out with mob guys must have rubbed off on us, because we've decided to celebrate the Über Update by giving you an offer you can't (or at least shouldn't) refuse--an unprecedented WEEK-LONG FREE WEEKEND of Team Fortress 2, starting right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The demo stuff seems to be a bit overpowered, it's essentially all buffs with no drawback. I'll wait to see it in-game but it does look to be a little too much (especially for a class which is always killing me :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

its just been turned into a free to play game now on steam

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah thread needs to be revamped: the Free to Play Weekend is now a Free to Play Forever.

It actually makes so much sense, that I approve. We can talk about this later though. Theres also Meet the Medic out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

This news certainly deserves its own thread, not a bump...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's still the best hat-based MMO on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

The demo stuff seems to be a bit overpowered, it's essentially all buffs with no drawback. I'll wait to see it in-game but it does look to be a little too much (especially for a class which is always killing me :p)
    You looking at that trailer on the steam page?
    Yeah, it's not like that at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

One of the greatest multiplayer games of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

holy **** free to play, thats pretty awesome, and a good way to keep making money from games once the sales stop coming in, give it away for free and use micro transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

And of course, the whiners are out in force demanding a refund for TF2 sicne their monies are "wasted":
    http://www.destructoid.com/team-fortress-2-free-to-play-whiners-demand-a-refund-204512.phtml
    even though there are 2 tiers now, Free Players and Premium Players:
    http://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php

More people playing the better, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

So for buying the game way back when, all i get is a lousy hat?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dling cos its free, so you can like buy a hat a be premium? rofl

• Advertisement

D wrote: »
    So for buying the game way back when, all i get is a lousy hat?

No you got hundreds of hours entertainment, playing the best multi-player FPS ever released.

And a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Interesting to see Steam change their business model. It would be fascinating to see what level sales were at before they decided to make it free to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Not only are there whiners who want their money back but there's ones who want to cut out the free players. A mod has been made to prevent entry of free to play (F2P) players on servers.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1947269

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't normally say this to my fellow PC gamers, but what a bunch of ****ing fags

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Jesus, would those people get a bit of cop on, the sense of entitlement is disgusting.

Nobody out-elitists PC gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

So this is free for keeps not just a few days??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Crosáidí wrote: »
    So this is free for keeps not just a few days??

It's free forever and ever and ever and ever though you should really buy a hat, not because they look all spiffy and cool or anything (which they do) but because it'll help support one of the best developers ever (Hint: Valve).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The servers are going to be ... interesting in the next few days mind you; potentially a lot of griefers and abusers, along with the inevitable tide of newbies. On that, it's amazing to think that it took 4 years for Valve to create a Tutorial section for the game. As much as it is gaming royalty now, TF2 wasn't exactly the most newbie-friendly games for the longest time.

Would love to see a series of TF2 cartoons though, not just the "Meet The ... " series; it's the best comedy out there in gaming-land.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

well this mod is probably to protect their game from hackers etc, still I want on servers and no hats :pac:

Advertisement