Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Size

Options
  • 02-05-2008 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be replacing my current Windows laptop over the summer. I've been thinking about screen size and the benefits of having a 17" screen over a 15" screen. This machine will solely be used for the internet and site testing, and in all likeliness will probably never leave the office/house or be hooked up to an external monitor. Tbh, I'm worried that the bigger screen will just be cumbersome and outweigh any kind of useability gain. For pure useability is it worth going for the bigger screen? and have you regretted going for the bigger/smaller screen size? What screen size have you opted for and why?

TIA

Laptop Screen Size 24 votes

15" Screen
    0% 0 votes
    17" Screen
    50% 12 votes
    Other Size
    50% 12 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it's not going to be moving much then go with the 17".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I use a laptop at home with a 15.4" screen and to be honest it's annoying sometimes. I would much rather have had a 17" screen as I never take the laptop with me anywhere but they were just too expensive at the time. Things just get cluttered at times on the smaller screen.

If your going to have it at home and it's not going to travel you'd be somewhat silly to go with the smaller screen. 17" laptops have really come down in price the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yeah, if it's just sitting on a desk most of the time, go for the 17".

The only thing to watch out for is that a lot of 17"ers are shipping with 1920x1200 screens these days, just for the sake of saying 'More res!' and for me, thats a lot of res to squeeze into a 17" screen. Its just a step too much imo, 1680 or 1440 are much more suited to the screen size.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,922 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i have a 15.4 and like it fine. i needed it to be portable enough to fit in a bookbag though. when i really need to multitask i have a 17" external panel at my beck and call. a setup i much prefer over a single large screen actually: just throw windows over to the right/left and fullscreen apps can run in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

17" if going nowhere... I have a 15", even that's a bit on the big size if you have to bring it around the place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

As it's basically a desktop replacement.....go for the 17". I've a 1920 x1200 resolution on mine and find it great for gaming or watching bluray movies (though bluray on a 17" screen is overkill inho).:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Another +1 for the 17", although, i've been using my eee pc so much recently that my 15.4" dell seems massive! If it's not going to move the 17" screen would make most sense tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I have a 15.4" one (inspiron 1501), which I do carry around with me sometimes, and also is my only computer at home. I find the size a good compromise between usability and portability, though not ideal for either. I think it is the best size for the way I use it since anything much bigger would be too awkward to transport and anything much smaller would be less usable for me. If I was to get a true desktop replacement that I'd rarely move I'd get the largest possible however.

I think a backpack is probably a good idea for a laptop that is 15" or larger. I have a case myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Thanks for the replies. Deep down I really want a M1730, but I'll probably go with a 17" Vostro. Any reccomendations for 17 inchers? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Deep down I really want a M1730, but I'll probably go with a 17" Vostro. Any reccomendations for 17 inchers? Thanks.
    They have a couple of M1730s with SLI 8700M on the Dell outlet for 991+vat.

While I don't think the 8700 is an overly strong card, for that kind of money it's not too bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

One of each, 4 laptops (I know,I know I need to calm down)
    2 * 12" 's,1 * 15.4" and one 17".

Advertisement