Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archaeology for kids

• 01-05-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Hi, Can anyone help with ideas for 10 year old history buff who wants to be an archaeologist. Need places to visit in school hols. Is it possible to visit a dig? We're in south east but have map will travel! loves museums and castles but find it hard to get much info on places, don't know where to look. Also any good books or websites for kids. Smart kid reading way above age, Tried local library but books either too simple, not enough explanation or too difficult, assume you already know certain things. I don't know much Irish history, grew up in UK. This ambition seems to be sticking(over 18 months now). Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Mick Aston and Tony Robinson (of Time Team fame) brought out a book aimed at children a few years ago. Channel 4 published it. It was called "Archaeology is Rubbish". I got it for my niece in Hodges Figgis here in Dublin but I haven't seen it since. Try an internet search. I'll be in town later and will pop in to a few book shops to see if it is still around.

It was a good publication. It explained the basics without talking down to the audience.

Visiting a dig depends on a number of issues. The director, health and safety implications and location are the major ones. What part of the south east are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Id say take a day trip to visit towerhouses and castles. Nothing sparks a kids imagination than abandoned castles, thats what got me when I was a nipper. If you PM your location ill send you a list of good ones within feasible driving distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks, there's great bookshop in Kilkenny that has ordered couple of dozen books for us we couldn't find so i'll try them. Went to see first emperor exhibition in British museum at easter, it was amazing. Know all London museums well but haven't been to Dublin ones yet. I don't know dublin well, but no school next week so might get up there. Any other idea's please let me know, She really can't get enough!
    We're in south kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sealrock

Mymo

A couple of places you could check out,

Ferrycarrig, County Wexford has a heritage park, I havn't been there in years, but as I recall it was good fun, and definitely a place a 10 year old would like.

Waterford Museum of Treasures has some great displays all about Viking Waterford, again a good place to go.

Kilkenny City has some really cool Archaeology, where you could spend a day. One of my favourite sites is Kells priory to the south of Kilkenny which is a great place to go and see.

If you are up in the Midlands Mullingar you could check out the Hidden Landscape exhibition in Belvedere House which is about the work of the archaeologist.

Peter Harbisons book Guide to the National Monuments of Ireland, is a great guide to archaeological sites, particularly castles, abbeys and other ruins.

There is an on-line magazine Seanda, which is about archaeological discoveries on ational road schemes which might be good to check out
    (http://www.nra.ie/Archaeology/Seanda-NRAArchaeologyMagazine/file,11161,en.pdf)

Archaeology Ireland, is also a good bet (although its not available on line).

Ultimately there's lots of places to go, and visit with your son, and you'll have a ball.

If you want to find out about the discipline of archaeology, Clive Gamble has a great introductory Guide - Archaeology a Beginners Guide, while Paul Bahns - A Bluffers Guide to Archaeology is good fun, although probably not suitable for a 10 year old, but emminently suitable for his Dad.

Anyhow

Have Fun

Sealrock

Thanks sealrock i'll see if local library has those books, i think i'm gonna have to learn bit of history too. Heritage park is great we went last summer, she loved it. Off to Cahir castle and rock of Cashel in a couple of days, then Dublin to see bog bodies and viking longboat. We're working on a list for summer hols now. I'll pass on your suggestions, in kilkenny every week only been to castle and abbey. thanks again.
    P.S we're mother and daughter not father and son!

• Advertisement

Check out Dunmore Cave, just north of Kilkenny. There is an exhibition of artefacts found in the cave from the early medieval period, including some associated with the massacre of the locals by Norse raiders in the 9th century.

Mymo

Mea Culpa, Enjoy

Sealrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Nutlog!!!

If yer in the southeast, South Wexford is a great place in general for Norman/later fortifications and monasteries like Tintern and Dunbrody Abbeys. And the Hook Peninsula has it all-promontory earthworks, a medieval lighthouse, tower houses, ruins of all kind; I know its terribly post-medieval, I know they do cool boat rides around Wexford harbour,underneath which is a submerged hamlet I believe - you can see stuff poking up over the surface at low tide. I often think the best archaeology is the stuff you drive past every day. It all just depends on the story you put to it ;). Failing all that though, bronze age swords in the Nat Museum always work! :)
    I think the most important thing though, wherever you go, is to explore: hop through fields (without trespassing;))look around and get lost in the environment around you, brings an element of magic to the situation when you look off the map!

Thanks Nutlog!!! We know hook lighthouse well,Spent many afternoons looking at fossils in the rocks and great tour. Also been to the old church and about 4 castles in the area but didn't know about earthworks? Where should we look? Museum was great, Bog bodies where a big hit(but not gory enough for her!) going back for another look as we didn't get to see it all. All idea's welcome, hope it's gonna be a good summer 'cos it's getting to be a long list!
    Does anyone know of any Roman sites? I believe they visited Jerpoint area near Thomastown, I know they didn't settle here like Uk.

Not Gory enough eh?? Ha ha! Thats a good archaeologist ya got there! There are Medieval earthworks up by Baginbun Head, near the Martello Tower, I believe they mark a Norman promontory. And I know there were Roman artefacts (coins and such I think) found on Lambay Is., Ireland's Eye (again, I think) and Loughshinny (another embanked promontory, with a much earlier date I believe), all in North Co. Dublin. Beyond that there were reported Roman burials in the Newgrange tumulus, my guess is they got a lot further into Ireland than people think!

• Advertisement

Thanks Nutlog!!! We were all set to go this morning but it's raining, back to school tomorrow so it'll have to wait. Hook peninsular very handy for beaches to rest after hours of seaching for archaeology. I must have the only child who builds historically acurate sand castles under seige complete with invading army and fallen soldiers.:) Heading to Newgrange in summer hols so must find out more before we go. Just amazing how many castles and ruined churches there are around south east. And those Butlers really got around!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my friends daughter is almost 10, and has beene obessed with this for the last 3 years.

she loves the horrible history books, there are a large range of them.

I am not sure exactly where you are based but i took to dublivia, christchurch and st. michan's in dublin. she love it full of skeletons and mummys and old things

I think we have every horrible history book there is, but they don't give enough info for her anymore. planning a trip to christchurch and Dvblinia in summer, and a return to museums one day isn't enough to see everything.

Boneless-Archaeology is rubbish was a big hit, she loves it so much she begged me to get her own copy(couldn't find it in shops so library got it for us) and is planning digs in my uncle's garden, her grandad's garden in London (as his house is very old) and wants to phone my friend in Somerset to ask can she dig up her garden next time we visit. Sadly we only have a small concreted yard and she can't manage a kango yet!:p

I had a good laugh at that post mymo! Save up to buy her a ground penetrating radar so she can do non-intrusive archaeology in the back yard!!

I can see the letter now:

Dear Santa,
    Can I have a WHS Trowel, a leaf trowel, a 40m tape...

Thanks for that Boneless, she was looking over my shoulder as i read that- Exact words were "Ground penetrating radar???.... isn't that what they use to find bodies?? Cool! Are they expensive?"
    I think I created a monster!
    As I type she's gone into the garden with my tape measure and some chalk to Practise marking out a trench. Says she needs Graph paper too.
    If you think of anymore books or sites to visit let me know. Thanks for all the help everyone.:D

Sounds like she's about ready for the MoLAS field manual!!!

Have you thought about the Achill archaeology field school, I know they do an 'Archaeology for Young People' course which involves day trips to megalithic tombs, excavations and the like. Dunno how expensive it is mind you, but something to think about, particularly for the years ahead. Here's the link: http://www.achill-fieldschool.com

Looks great, but for around leaving cert age. She'll have to wait a few years, She can start saving now!
    Museum website mentioned sunday afternoon talks for kids, might try one of those.

Mymo

There is an archaeological course run in DCU as part of their centre for talented youth programme for 6 to 12 years old which might be appropriate, a friend of mines youngest is attending and they love it, and he advised that the entry were requirements were not as scary as they look, and if your daughter is sufficiently interested (as she sounds) she would be in with a good shout.

http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi/files/6-7%20Spring%202007.doc

Alternately, there are some Historical Societies run summer schools lecture series etc. Rathmichael Historical Society used to run a field school but I don't think its on anymore.

Best of luck

Sealrock

Mymo

There is an archaeological course run in DCU as part of their centre for talented youth programme for 6 to 12 years old which might be appropriate, a friend of mines youngest is attending and they love it, and he advised that the entry were requirements were not as scary as they look, and if your daughter is sufficiently interested (as she sounds) she would be in with a good shout.

http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi/files/6-7%20Spring%202007.doc

Alternately, there are some Historical Societies run summer schools lecture series etc. Rathmichael Historical Society used to run a field school but I don't think its on anymore.

Best of luck

Sealrock

Thanks Sealrock. She's already on the CTYI courses, Can't make the summer one but think there's usually one in Enniscorthy in autumn. Hopefully we'll be around for that one. Supposed to be great.
    Had a look around can't find much else. Going to talk to someone from local historical soc, get more local info and See if they have any idea's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

if you're near kilkenny, there is a great site you can visit that was excavated in the eighties and early ninties. it's called Knocroe, it's near the slate quarries on the kilkenny/tipp border, the tiny river munster is the boundary line on maps i think. anyway i'm sure it's on the O/S map. a passage tomb is exposed, it's a winter soltice event like newgrange except the sunset chamber has all the best markings. it's a compact site, you can drive down to it. also the Ahenny high cross is nearby.
    to get to it from kilkenny, take the road for clonmel, turn off just after Callan on the road for windgap/carrick-on-suir road. about fifteen miles you'll come to a pub called delaneys on the left, the road you need is to the right across from the pub, after that you'd need a map. it's well worth the visit.
    thankfully there hasn't been any hippies at the winter soltice in years, it got really ugly one year when this hippie wanted everyone to hold hands etc..
    i don't think he'll ever be back after the looks he got from the locals.
    anyway i digress, it's a great picnic site and there's even a sculpture park in the slate quarry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Make sure she's well versed in all four Indian Jones film, she'll never be able to unearth ancient aztec aliens without them!

No Indianna Jones movies for her "that's not archaeology, that's treasure hunting!" Her words not mine. She only watched first one and complained about 50 times, I got fed up and told her not to watch the rest. Now she's sulking and won't go to see new one! Although she admitted in total secrecy to her uncle it was a great film!

Thanks catbear hadn't heard of that, might keep her quiet untill i can bring her to Newgrange. And it's not too far. Off to google maps now.

Knockroe is a really good site to visit. The art on the tomb is amongst the best examples in Ireland, if not Europe. And there are some Iron Age sites in the area which were Christianised as holy wells. Well wort a day out... I'm getting jealous now... :D

One word of warning though, you have to ford a stream to get to the Passage Tomb from the Delaneys side so wear wellies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

wellies? fording a stream? that's the slate quarry. Knocroe is down a farmers lane. you can park at the gate to the site. boneless, were you on a general walking tour in the area?

There is a stream there all right. The last time I was there though it was winter so it may have been more swollen than usual. It is in my mind because there was one person in the group who was wearing designer footwear and started to complain about the water ruining them!! :D You can also go in from the Windgap side...

Jaysus I remember that one Boneless! Gucci should develop a range of Arch gear!

Mymo, if she fancies herself with a keen eye for archaeology beyond the extant mounds and tombs and the easily-spotted stuff, why not give her a challenge! A particular walk in the Dublin hills comes to mind, specifically Piperstown and Sagart hills. Piperstown is an amazing location with fantastic views over the south city (particularly at night ;)) and its also a Bronze Age settlement site. Relatively poorly understood, it has prehistoric field walls, supposed stone circles, the lot, but you need a well trained eye. And Sagart hill is a real cornucopia of prehistoric sites. These are great places to ramble around, and just minutes drive from the city! Plus a few destroyed RIC barracks and other cool post-med stuff!

Thanks, been looking up routes to knockroe did wonder about crossing stream so i'll go from Windgap side. found some pics too, looks great. going to visit 3 or four places in area and make a day of it.
    Just found out school tour is to heritage park in Wexford she's over the moon, we went couple of years ago but the school is getting demo on weapons and shield making!
    Many thanks (again) to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

mymo,

Check out the Council for British Archaeology Young Archaeologists Club http://www.britarch.ac.uk/yac/index.html

There are three branches in Northern Ireland. You get a magazine, fact sheets, discounted/free entry into museums etc (in UK/NI though), and lots of other information. When she's old enough, she can join CBA proper! The Time Team Club is also good for its newsletters and magazines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement