Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guy buying cars for Japanese Students

Options
  • 01-05-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hey all. I recently put my VW Passatt up on CBG. Modest price.

Recently i got a text message from a guy saying that he buys cars for Japanese students in Ireland. I told him the details, and today he asked me for my address and name to make the cheque out to, and that the Japanese Chamber of Commerce would make the cheque out to me.

Has anyone else encountered this. It seems a little too random to be a scam, but then again, this is the first time i have sold a car! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Has he actually seen the car or is he just offering money over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

did he come to look at the car?

i'll say one thing "if something sounds too good to be true it usually is"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Drazhar wrote: »
    Hey all. I recently put my VW Passatt up on CBG. Modest price.

Recently i got a text message from a guy saying that he buys cars for Japanese students in Ireland. I told him the details, and today he asked me for my address and name to make the cheque out to, and that the Japanese Chamber of Commerce would make the cheque out to me.

Has anyone else encountered this. It seems a little too random to be a scam, but then again, this is the first time i have sold a car! :)

Delete his number and ignore his calls or else you'll be able to add
    "the first time I got scammed" to your "the first time I sold my car"
    achievement ;)

The cheque will bounce and you'll end up with no car and no funds.
    Don't be surprised if he offers you a cheque/draft worth more than
    you're asking for the car and also asks if you can give him the difference
    in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If he is offering to make out a cheque for the full asking price on a car that he hasn't even seen then either he is the dumbest person on the planet or it is a scam!

Most likey a bit of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Tell him you will take cash only and offer to meet him at the bank. Looks weird - http://www.jiea.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Im going to email him and say that if he can give me two thirds of the asking price in cash the car is his. See what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

HAHAHAH!!

here is the email from him:
    Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your reply an the information. I have explain to the buyer, he said is ok.

The payment Agent to the Japanese Chambers of Commerce (JCC) there in Europe will send the cheque to you tomorrow. The Cheque amount is around 9,600Euro.

Please take out your car payment, and i will later email you the instruction which you will use to help me forward the surplus money to the Wedding photographer also there in Europe.

Please dont let me down. I dont want to disappoint the buyer of the car. dont sell the car to another person.
    It will take 6 days for the cheque to arrive to you. Please be patience.

Thanks, i will try to call you after work. But incase you want to call me feel free to call me on 0081 5055345097

Thanks
    peter Roshimi
    Tokyo,Japan
    0081 5055345097

Im going to email him and say that if he can give me two thirds of the asking price in cash the car is his. See what happens.

Why bother your hole? Full price or nothing.

Actuall forget that. The email is dodge. Tell him to fcuk off,......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

HAHAHAH!!

here is the email from him:

Bullseye! there is the scam, he sending you a cheque for more than your asking price and looking for you to send him back the surplus amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Midnight Sky

Drazhar

Please check out the link below. Another scam and the same phone number as you received. Found it using Google on the telephone number in your post. Money for live at home mothers to post envelopes. He must be a busy man - this Peter Roshimi

http://www.askamum.co.uk/Community/Forums/Forum-Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=71876

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Reply to his mail and tell him you swapped the car for some magic beans,
    you planted the beans in your garden earlier and there is now a
    large beanstalk sprouting. Tell him you'll donate his cheque to a charity
    building sun shelters for homeless goats on the Aran Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

No way a Japanese person would drive a diesel VW!

Japanese people nearly all drive Japanese cars, it has to be a con!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

It's a scam alright. Number is a Japanese mobile, and from the e-mail and tone it just isn't the way Japanese do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nah lads, Peter is a very common Japanese first name!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Definitely a scam. Why would someone want to bring a car literally across the world when they can buy one at their end for half the price? If any English dudes call and tell you they have a load of 'interested buyers' in your area then they are trying to swindle you out of your money too.

They will ask for a £100 fee, take your credit card details, and apparently put you in contact with the potential buyers and then you never hear from them again. If they call, just tell them you will be back in a second and leave the phone down and see how long they hold for. Keep them waiting and waste as much of their time as you can. People have done that here there are some good threads on it if you can do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Get him to send the cheque for a laugh, then sell the car to a buyer not trying to scam you. Frame the cheque and put it on your wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just to be absolutely clear for the sake of anyone browsing this in the future, this is a known scam. He is not after the car at all, he is after the amount above and beyond the asking price that he makes the check out for. The check is worthless obviously and the scam is to play on the sellers greed by offering full or over full price plus extra that needs to be forwarded on in cash to someone. The cash element is the scam.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

He tried to rent a house off me .i had it on the let by net site and he replied.My wife googled his details and here i am.AVOID like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I had my car advertised recently and
    I had an email from some guy recently claiming to be a french film producer, Same deal, he would send a cheque for 1000 more than i was asking for and would i send him back the difference......total scam...
    I sent back a reply ...CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY!
    and never heard from him again

• Advertisement
Advertisement