Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Controls do you use?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 8:55pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what kinda controls do you guys use for your flight sims?

Im using the Saitek X-52 pro with footpedal. Its a great joystick but its missing one factor. Rumble :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Unfortunately this doesn't belong to me :( but wow :eek: how cool is that!

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Have the CH Products yoke and pedals.......startin to get a bit old and battered but still works great =D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Unfortunately this doesn't belong to me :( but wow :eek: how cool is that!

Link
    wow...
    DO all those controls work? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

can anyone recommend a decent joystick for about €50? I got one in argos about 6 months ago but the handle doesnt rotate for helicopters. Theres another one in argos that says it has a rotating handle, but then again, the one i bought also says it has it in the description... Any recommendations? or even recommend a shop in dublin somewhere that i could take a look at a few/try them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Does anybody know where I could pick up a good set of rudder pedals, either around Dublin or online? At the moment I just have a joystick and would love to be able to control the rudder/nose wheel by using feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

noblestee wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a decent joystick for about €50?

I bought a "Saitek ST290 Pro", nothing fancy,but does the job perfect. It has throttle, and rudder axis.

I got it in Maplin Electronics for...... €25

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I could pick up a good set of rudder pedals, either around Dublin or online? At the moment I just have a joystick and would love to be able to control the rudder/nose wheel by using feet.

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=24167

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Aidan Disney

I have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Pedals (Yoke, Trottles, Pedals) and i tell ya now, it was the best thing i everg bought !

I wouldnt use my flight sim if i didnt have them .. such a difference :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

An ancient Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 joystick :o:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I just got a Saitek X52 pro recently (seems to be a popular choice on here). It's a fantastic HOTAS. It looks fantastic with the black body and green LED lit buttons. (you can change colours to red or blue individually on each button too). I thought it would look a little tacky but it doesn't.

The ergonomics are excellent, it feels very good in your hands and all of the buttons/sliders etc are withing easy reach. Very comfortable and good for long use.

The action is very good, the springs on the stick are reasonably stiff and provide a good centering force, but it's never jerky and precise movements are easy. The twist rudder is quite stiff too, in a good way, you can easily twist the stick when wanted, and without interfering with the stick position, but you're unlikely to do it accidentally. The thottle action is very smooth, the afterburner/idle detents were a little stiff initially but with a little use they've become quite good.

The amoung of buttons is fantastic, along with dials, sliders, hat switches and even a thumb mouse built into the throttle (which is great for looking around). There's also a mode selecter to select between 3 different modes, if you use the saitek software to create a profile you can assign each button etc to a different function in each mode. Dials and sliders on the throttle are ideal for mapping to trim controls, up/down/toggle switches are ideal for operations like gear up/down, flaps up/down etc, hat switches are great for changing view or navigating menus etc, and there's still loads of regular buttons for anything you want. And they're all within easy reach and easy to use without looking down.

Hehe, I meant to just post that it was great, this kinda turned into a mini-review :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement