Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long is too long a wait for a new car?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hello

i ordered a new nissan quashqai in november, and i have not seen it yet. i ordered the 1.5 diesel and i was told that there is a wait for it. that wasnt really an issue as the wife and i agreed we like it. the garage said that i would get it no later than april.

well its the 1st day of may and no call to pick it up. i have rang before and all im gettingg is that it will be another few days there is a delay and so on

so what im asking you people here is what can i get out of the dealer at this stage? is there any deals i can get from them? what could I ask for?

i hope you can answer this for me.

Reg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That car has serious supply shortages. FWIW it was Ireland's best selling car in March. 1,041 Qashqais were registered new in March.

If it doesn't get registered till July then you should save a good bit on the price cause of VRT, so personally I'd be hoping it's delayed for another 2 months;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ask your dealer what the hold up is. Truth be told, it's because most Nissan dealers wont get Quasqai allocation until they fullfil sales volumes for non-Quasqai models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yeah, at this stage I'd be telling them to hold the car until July. Rather than fight them for freebies, make them store the car and reg it at the lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Buy an Opel Antara.

I have one, and im in love with it.

If you ordered a car and in Nov and you stall aint got it.. jeez.. id have given up by January!

crosstownk wrote: »
    Truth be told, it's because most Nissan dealers wont get Quasqai allocation until they fullfill sales volumes for non-Quasqai models.
    Somebody should shoot the person responsible for this plan!

Do some car makers have a wish not to sell cars in this country a la VW not bringing in Bluemotion cars till next year even though there would be big VRT/roadtax savings to be had if they were bought in for July and they're already on sale in the UK:eek:?

• Advertisement

Its all about market share. Nissan are witholding supply of Quasquai in order to increase the sales volumes of other models which will (from Nissans point of view) sell more of the model range. It works for some dealers but not for others. If that sort of pressure was applied to an end user there would be a consumer uproar. Nissan should not be treating their dealers like that.

Its all about market share. Nissan are witholding supply of Quasquai in order to increase the sales volumes of other models which will (from Nissans point of view) sell more of the model range. It works for some dealers but not for others. If that sort of pressure was applied to an end user there would be a consumer uproar. Nissan should not be treating their dealers like that.
    Surely dealers should allowed to sell what they know will sell for them and the make they are trying to sell?

If the waiting lists for the Qashqai are too long then it will turn people away from the car. Why would anyone try and deny themselves sales?

Then again considering how Nissan decided we were special enough to get the Tiida and how they flog 'em all off at a discount to car rental companies and the like I suppose I'm not surprised in a way, but nevertheless I'm really shocked at this type of behaviour.

Why are VW not selling Bluemotion cars here either? What is the logic or justification for it, cause in my mind there is none.

E92 wrote: »
    Surely dealers should allowed to sell what they know will sell for them and the make they are trying to sell?

If the waiting lists for the Qashqai are too long then it will turn people away from the car. Why would anyone try and deny themselves sales?

It is odd. But I think Nissan Ireland are using the fact that the Quasqai is so popular to force the dealers into registering other models. Quashqai allocation is related to sales of other models - totally unfair, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,180 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah, the joys of a franchise.

Nissan know their franchised dealers can sell Quashqais all day long. But they are trying to push sales of their other vehicles like the Tiida, Micra and Note which dealers cannot seem to give away these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Why are VW not selling Bluemotion cars here either? What is the logic or justification for it, cause in my mind there is none.

Supply problems.

EXCLUSIVE: VW restricts supply of Bluemotion range
    16 April, 2008

By Paul Barker

VW has admitted massive demand has led to it limiting supply of its low-CO2 Bluemotion versions of the Polo and Golf to the corporate market.

The company said its year’s allocation could have been eaten up by fleets, particularly local councils, ordering batches of cars to help meet public sector green obligations.

“We could sell our entire quota into the fleet market but we need to get some cars into showrooms,” said an insider.

Strong demand across Europe has seen waiting times stretch to three times that of a normal VW model, and competing European markets are scrabbling to increase their allocation. VW has already had to stagger deliveries of large orders, particularly from rental firms. A VW spokesman said it had already had to stagger deliveries of Golf Bluemotions to car club Streetcar.

Norwich City Council recently confirmed a deal to take 50 Polo Bluemotion models in an attempt to cut its CO2 output, with Glasgow also about to announce a similar deal.

The Bluemotion range kicked off last year with the Polo, which is now classified at 99g/km for the whole range. Initially the Polo Bluemotion 2 trim level was at 104g/km.

The sub-120g/km Bluemotion Golf is arriving into the market now, with Passat, Golf estate and Jetta models also on the way by this summer, and a Sharan Bluemotion to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Nissan Ireland would not be unknown to be alleged to be operating strange tactics...

I'll say no more...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We got a 1.5Dci SE model in within 3 weeks of order. Gave a couple of colour choices (Silver or Black), but I was surprised how quick it came through.

I believe the SVE model would be a different story.

I'm not sure how there can still be supply problems with them. There are at least 5 transporters every night, full with Quashqai's, coming down from the North to Nissan on the Naas Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

My mate got one within a week!
    Your being taken the piss out of - fullstop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Reggie Perrin

R.O.R wrote: »
    We got a 1.5Dci SE model in within 3 weeks of order. Gave a couple of colour choices (Silver or Black), but I was surprised how quick it came through.

I believe the SVE model would be a different story.

I'm not sure how there can still be supply problems with them. There are at least 5 transporters every night, full with Quashqai's, coming down from the North to Nissan on the Naas Road.

thanks for the replies
    when did you purchase this?

how much saving on Vrt will we get come july?

I've heard rumors that a certain Dublin Nissan dealer is importing Qashquais from the UK to circumvent the Nissan Ireland allocations. Only problem is the speed/distance clocks are in miles - that and the raised eybrows on the Naas Road...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I've heard rumors that a certain Dublin Nissan dealer is importing Qashquais from the UK to circumvent the Nissan Ireland allocations. Only problem is the speed/distance clocks are in miles - that and the raised eybrows on the Naas Road...................

As far as I know it's illegal for Irish dealers to sell new cars with mileometer speedos within Ireland. It'll raise more eyebrows than just in Nissan.

AudiChris wrote: »
    As far as I know it's illegal for Irish dealers to sell new cars with mileometer speedos within Ireland. It'll raise more eyebrows than just in Nissan.

No it's not, because that would prevent the free movement of goods across the common market in the EU:)! Remember people imported JDM cars in the days before we used km/h and those cars were always km/h only and nobody neither complained nor was forced to convert the speedo to mph just cause we didn't use km/h at the time. The Brits of course being rather sad that way insisted that imports have the "all important" mph speedo before they let them pass their MoT, but we never minded.

I must say I admire that dealer. Normally I'm the last person to stand up for dealers but on this occasion I agree 100% with their stance!

As for the VW Bluemotion supply issue, not bad now, that's twice in recent times that they've had this problem for Ireland and the UK recently. Firstly with the 1.4 TSI, and now this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

AudiChris wrote: »

And there was a fuss in 2005 when some dealers were selling old stock with MPH speedos - according to the SIMI there was no obligation to sell cars with KMH speedos.

As far as the OP is concerned - don't underestimate Nissan Ireland's abilities to undermine the value of their customers cars - I bought a Primera Accenta new a few years back and found that I couldn't sell it for sensible money because they were registering new Primeras and selling them at auction for a very significant discount. (Same for the Almera at that time). If they're willing to offend their dealers just think what they'll do to their customers. At the moment they're a one trick pony with no prospect of anything significant.

Nissan are a big supplier to the hire drive market. It would be interesting to see what effect Nissan's market share would be if Enterprise Rent A Car stopped using Nissans :D

Isn't that why the Tiida is selling far better than it has any right to(because they flog 'em all off for nothing to car rental companies)?

How do Nissan Ireland make money with this sort of carry on, that's what intrigues me most of all?

• Advertisement

Isn't that why the Tiida is selling far better than it has any right to(because they flog 'em all off for nothing to car rental companies)?

How do Nissan Ireland make money with this sort of carry on, that's what intrigues me most of all?

I'd like to see the proportion of hire drives vs private registrations. And then factor in the 'Take 2' offer...............:confused:

Do the dealers brunt the cost of these offers, since the ads IIRC say it's "from the Nissan dealers of Ireland"(or is that Ford ads, the ads made such an impression on me I've completely forgotten what was contained in them)?

Who is responsible for the importation and distribution of Nissans in this country anyway? It's not Nissan themselves, I've figured that much!

Is it not Nissan Ireland - on Walkinstown Ave/Naas Road - opposite the MDL entrance?

I don't think Nissan Ireland is a distributorship, I always though it was a subsidiary of Nissan Europe?

Maybe I'm wrong.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Its chairman owns some of Nissan Ireland as well as others...

SsangYong Ireland is part of the consortium headed by its Executive Chairman, Gerard A. O'Toole whose automotive interests and brands include Nissan Ireland , Chevrolet Ireland , and the Windsor Motor Group, Ireland 's largest car retailer. This consortium also has the exclusive distribution rights for the Ssangyong Franchise for Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom.

http://www.ssangyong.ie/about.htm

If he has an interest in it then its not wholly owned by Nissan....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There seems to be a Nissan Ireland based in Stephen's Green, and a number of other Nissan companies based at Nissan House, Naas Road; including Nissan Limited, which I assume is the distributer for passenger vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

thanks for the replies
    when did you purchase this?

how much saving on Vrt will we get come july?

I'd also like to know the answer to this if anyone can help. I'm useless with this new VRT.

I was hoping to buy a standard 1.6 Quashqai and wasn't sure if i'd be better off waiting until the new VRT was introduced.

Thanks,

Advertisement