Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog getting neutered tomorrow , what to expect ?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

i mean when he gets home after operation ? are they normally giving aftercare ? do they be sore ? has anyones dog had any side effects ?
    let me know
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's a relatively quick procedure and they'll be given anaesthetic. When you get him home he'll be groggy for the rest of the evening.

The vet will advise about anything you might need to know beyond that, but there's no return visit required and I wouldn't anticipate any complications.

Neutering your dog is very responsible. Good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What should you expect?

Expect him to to hate you for a long time.. i know i would :D

I had my bitch done 3 weeks ago.. she was as right as rain the next day :)

Just give him tlc when he gets home.

He might sulk for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

I asked the vet a few weeks ago about getting my almost 1 year old westie, male, neutered. He asked me does he roam, i said no, he is in the back garden, cant get out all day, and when he is outside he is going for a walk and on a lead.
    he then advised us to leave him as is. He said he had a great build for a westie and would be a shame to get him neutered.

He said, now if it was a female westie, yes, get her neutered straight away.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on getting male dogs neutered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Hel Hev, they'll give you an aftercare sheet at the vets and will tell you everything you need to know. Just keep him quiet and warm, don't give him a huge heavy meal as he'll have been fasting so just something light like scrambled eggs or chicken and rice. Fresh water at all times and no strenuous exercise. He'll probably have a buster collar on to stop him tearing at his stitches but if you do take it off then make sure he's supervised at all times. He won't hate you and he won't sulk so don't worry about that. If you have any doubts or questions whatsoever then ring your vets, you'll probably have to take him back for a check up in a couple of days anyway.

Gineli, about 80% of the dogs I see in the pound are unneutered males. A dog will do anything to get out after a bitch in heat so be very careful. It would be more of a shame if your dog was stolen for breeding. This is more common than you think. I don't agree with your vet and I know none of the vets I use would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

What to expect:
    Your doggy will be a bit groggy.
    Part of their front leg will be shaven where they get the anesthetic and some of their underbelly hair.
    The dog will look worse with the wide collar on to stop them licking or pulling at the stitches. But keep it on
    Make sure the dog doesn't make huge leap out of the car when you are transporting them home as this may ruputre the stitches internally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just on the subject of neutering male dogs or not....

My mam and dad took in a rescue dog a few years ago, poor little mite was a shivering little mess and his legs seemed "bandy" for want of a better word. Recently they brought him to a vet to get neutered and the vet advised them against it. Apparently he had been taken from the bitch too soon and he didn't get enough calcium as a very young pup so his legs are brittle. If he was neutered and put on weight it would put more strain on his lil bandy legs. Poor little mite - but thats an extreme case.

On the other hand a friend of mine keeps rottweilers, they are her babies and she adores them (they are great ambassadors for the breed and love cuddles). They come from a great breeder and she shows them so cannot get them neutered (you can't show a neutered male). She said when her bitch goes into heat the poor dogs are frantic. They are not really pets anymore and seem to revert back to being almost wild. So unless you intend to breed your westie, the kindest thing would be to have him neutered. It's just not worth the distress a dog goes through when there is a bitch in heat and he can't get near her. It's pretty distressing for the owner too to see your pet so confused and frustrated.

Also, when a bitch in heat is around, you would not believe the lengths dogs go through to escape. I shared a house with a man once who had an un-neutered GSD cross (found her on the side of the road after a traveller camp had moved on). I came out one morning to find a little jack russel curled up asleep beside her. The garden was totally enclosed with 6ft high walls. She didn't get pregnant so I can only assume he was too short to finish the deed. :D

I know people have their opinions, but I think it's very very irresponsible of your vet to advise against getting your dog neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

Neutered female dogs become very incontinent in later years.

Eoghanacht wrote: »
    Unneuterd female dogs are left open to some horrendous conditions in later years. So it's a toss up really. Personally I'd prefer to be cleaning pee than to be bringing my dog to the vet to be PTS due to an avoidable condition.

Absolute rot, a very small number of females may become incontinent after the operation and I repeat a very very small number. Usually happens when they have been spayed too young. Even unneutered females and males can become incontintent when they get old, same as in humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Neutering any dog is just cruel as far as I'm concerned.
    I do not understand why people have this done. Its easy to give away pups if you do not want them, there are loads of people who will always take a dog.
    If you have a bitch in heat, you can make arrangements to keep her locked up while she is in heat.
    Why mess with nature, if a dog wasn't meant to do what he does he would not have the tools in the first place.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I do not understand why people have this done. Its easy to give away pups if you do not want them, there are loads of people who will always take a dog.
    If you have a bitch in heat, you can make arrangements to keep her locked up while she is in heat.
    Why mess with nature, if a dog wasn't meant to do what he does he would not have the tools in the first place.
    Makes me so sad to see this attitude in this day and age. People really need to be better educated in caring for their pets. It is because of ideas like this that thousands of dogs are PTS every year. Yes it's easy to give pups away, when they are small and cute, don't you care what happens to them when they get older and the novelty wears off. They will end up in a pound or worse. Go to your local pound, look at the poor sad faces and then come back and tell us that it's cruelty to prevent more of those poor souls ending up in there.

That's why we put down over 15,000 dogs a year in the Republic in our county pounds. That's why rescues are overflowing with unwanted dogs and cruelty cases. That's why other people have to put so much time, effort and energy into clearing up after people who think like you.

Go down to your local rescue and educate yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Eoghanacht wrote: »

Parents took in a little rescue bitch nearly a year ago and she was slightly incontinent due to neutering. Shes now on half an oestrogen tablet every 2 days and shes fine. Loveiliest little dog....great footballer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Eagle Eye, I take it you don't work with dogs on a regular basis?? I do and let me tell you, if I see ONE more case of pyometra, mammary carcinoma, cystic endometrial hyperplasia, prostatitis, uterine prolapse, ovarian neoplasia, dystocia resulting in emergency c-section, perianal adenomas, testicular torsion, sertoli cell tumours or testicular hyperplasia, which could all be prevented if people neutered and spayed their dogs....
    Trust me, if in the unlikely event that the dog develops incontinence, I would much prefer to give a little harmless, reasonably priced medication, that put my dog through any one of those awful situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

eagle eye wrote: »

^^ obviously doesn't have a clue about animals.

It's easy to give away pups is it? Why then are thousands of dogs put down every year? Why are the shelters, resuces and pounds bursting with strays?

People like YOU are the reason why!! Cop the hell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Have a look here http://saveourdogs.net/health.html to see the side effects of neutering.

Advertisement