Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Car - Carlow or Dublin

Options
  • 01-05-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Righto...I have been without my car for a total of 5 hours (I sold it to move to Ireland)....I am having withdrawal symptoms....I will be buying a car in Ireland. Hopefully just a little runabout. I do need it for work also...

Is it better to buy privately, or from a dealer, is it cheaper in Dublin or Carlow....how do I transfer a car to me (not Irish so no detail is too much)

Oh and how much is petrol going for (per litre)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Carlow is cheaper. So is Private, but comeback is always an issue there.

Buying a car is straightforward enough even for non-residents I think. Just tax it and change ownership. Long as you have an adress I think you're sorted.

Last fill of petrol I got was @ 118.9cent per litre.

Incidentally I have a car that will be on the market soon............................ (pm for details if interested)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

Righto...I have been without my car for a total of 5 hours (I sold it to move to Ireland)....I am having withdrawal symptoms....I will be buying a car in Ireland. Hopefully just a little runabout. I do need it for work also...

Is it better to buy privately, or from a dealer, is it cheaper in Dublin or Carlow....how do I transfer a car to me (not Irish so no detail is too much)

Oh and how much is petrol going for (per litre)

Cheers

there are many pros and cons to buying private or through a dealer, such as a warranty with a dealer and perhaps a bargain to be had through private, I'd recommend posting in the motors forum here, people will give you the highs and lows of both options, when you buy a car you get a transfer of ownership cert, just send that off and it'll be registered in your name, as for buying in Dublin or Carlow personally I don't think theres a big difference price wise, the second hand trade here is very competitive at present.

petrol is working out at about 1.20 a litre and diesel 1.27 a litre at present

try carzone.ie and cbg.ie to get examples of car prices here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Don1 wrote: »

Incidentally I have a car that will be on the market soon............................ (pm for details if interested)

That'd be so handy if it worked out but I think you'll be gone before Claire gets here... Although... I could do the deal for ya if she was interested.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

That'd be cool.

/awaits response.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I'mamuppet

I bought a car from Bobby Jacob in Kileshin last year. Had a few teething problems with it but he sorted them out. He's on cbg.ie. Though he was v reasonable compared to autoimage and that ford garage. I met the most ignorant sales man in the ford garage, wouldnt even get off his fat ass and walk out to the car with us. I think unless your buying a new car the big garages dont want to know :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

The OH and Me were in *that* ford garage on Friday looking at a 05 focus diesel that they have thereand I suspect that the very same fat ass salesman was too ignorant to even walk out to front of the lot to look at it with us.

He then tried to say that he would only give us 6500 for hers even though we earlier were offered 9 for it :eek:

From my experience best is to have an idea in your head of what you are looking to spend, what make(s) and model(s) you like and then have a few searches on carzone.ie,moternet.ie and cbg.ie.

your next decision is to go with a dealer or to go for a private sale. If going private have a HPI check done on it to ensure that you are not inheriting anybody elses bad debit :eek:

In regards where you by that should be pretty irelevant as carlow has most of the maindealerships incase anything happens to go wrong. eg My OH bought a peugot 307 in Bradys in Blanchardstown after 2 weeks one of the door handles stuck so she rang Bradys and they agreed to get the peugot gargage in town to repair the car and bill it back to them.

It really is a case of shopping around until you find what you are comfortable paying for a car that you will be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hi Claire,

is your Australian driving license for an automatic car? If so, then it's highly likely you'll be restricted to automatics here too (perhaps somebody can verify this?). This could severely limit your choice when you come to buy or even hire a car as most motors here are manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clairesheara

thanks Slim

But I have a licence to drive a manual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I dont think its a case of Carlow is cheaper than Dublin, its a case of theres a greater choice to be had by looking outside of Carlow. It really does pay to shop around. I bought my current car in Dublin, before that I drove to Arklow to buy my previous car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I dont think its a case of Carlow is cheaper than Dublin, its a case of theres a greater choice to be had by looking outside of Carlow. It really does pay to shop around. I bought my current car in Dublin, before that I drove to Arklow to buy my previous car.

Yeah, but who'd drive an Alfa...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

testicle wrote: »

good contribuation there Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

testicle wrote: »

eh you?! if Im not mistaken?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Not any more.