Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCMCIA or usb dongle?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I want to wirelessly enable my laptop, I have a wireless network set up at home for music streaming using a Squeezebox.
    I have a weak signal up in the bedroom (25-30%), so what would be the best adaptor to get for the laptop? I have a spare PCMCIA slot on the laptop.

I can set the Squeezebox to bridge mode and connect the laptop with a patch cable.The signal I have at the moment is fine for browsing the internet, but file transfers are very slow. I am also trying to stream TV to the laptop, have a Skystar satellite card in the main pc. Streaming works fine if I am fairly close to the router, but it is very choppy up in the bedroom. I need to get a throughput of about 6mbps for the streaming.

I have a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-EG wireless modem router. Very little information about it on the net.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

For a laptop, I'd be more inclined to opt for PCMCIA seeing as it would be recessed into the machine. I find USB dongles just get in the way and take up a valuable USB port.

Advertisement