Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wisdom teeth removed - really necessary??

Options
  • 01-05-2008 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've had a thing called periconitis.. inflammation of the area around gum at wisdom tooth - I've had it twice now and had to go on antibiotics to clear infection - and it's really quite sore.

I've been told by dentist that I'll have to get my wisdom teeth removed - but I've read that in other parts of Europe instead of the painful procedure of getting the wisdom teeth removed that they laser the excess gum around the wisdom tooth off as this is what is actually causing the problem.

Has anyone ever been offered this by a dentist in Ireland? Or long term would this not work...does gum grow back?!

I did ask the dentist would he be able to do this and he kind of laughed at me but to be honest he wasn't really very nice at all, he just basically grabbed the cash and wrote a prescription!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

leonkings wrote: »
    I've had a thing called periconitis.. inflammation of the area around gum at wisdom tooth - I've had it twice now and had to go on antibiotics to clear infection - and it's really quite sore.

I've been told by dentist that I'll have to get my wisdom teeth removed - but I've read that in other parts of Europe instead of the painful procedure of getting the wisdom teeth removed that they laser the excess gum around the wisdom tooth off as this is what is actually causing the problem.

Has anyone ever been offered this by a dentist in Ireland? Or long term would this not work...does gum grow back?!

I did ask the dentist would he be able to do this and he kind of laughed at me but to be honest he wasn't really very nice at all, he just basically grabbed the cash and wrote a prescription!

I had periconitis twice as well and tbh the removal and recovery was a lot less painfull than the infections. If I were you I would just have them removed, its not like you need them and no big deal. They can also cause problems with other teeth so why take the risk and keep them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leonkings

Tks for response - I've booked myself in for surgery! ahhhh:eek:

Advertisement