Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm IP Camera Network

Options
  • 30-04-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

What I want to do is set up 2 cameras in my shed to monitor livestock that is 400Meters away from my house. There would be line of site from the roof of my house to the shed(not from any window in the house)

I have broadband in the house and I would like to have the wireless signal over at my shed in order to use broadband in my office

Ideally I like to view the cameras from my laptop (and possible my TV in my house and also over the internet)

What set up would you think I needed for this?
    Would the IP camera go across the wireless network for viewing in my house?

Any thoughts?? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Two of these or similar :
    http://wirelessconnect.eu/store/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=101

will fill the gap for you , will give better answer later on

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

I just had a look through that site there,

its giving some good options I think.
    probally a point to point anteanna at each end then a access point in repeater mode in my shed that the cameras will connect into.
    Then should work for viewing the cameras in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi all,

sorry for the hijack... I wouldn't mind getting my head around how these antenna/router units work.

If I'm thinking right, the 2 cameras and the shed client wireless unit plug into a network switch over CAT5.

Then at the OP house, the other wireless client unit plugs into his BB router. Line the wireless units upto each other and IP addresses/data flows over the wireless link?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Im having the 2 cameras hard wired back to a switch in the shed via Cat 5 (power over ethernet), the switch links into 9db anteanna to link back to the house and it connects to my access point for viewing across the net.

the anteanna will operate by point to point and transmit the data that way

that bascially it. now the install part when I get all the equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

ahhh, so you log into the "antenna" via a web gui to configure channel, security etc etc and acts like a wireless card for the cameras. Do you have external antennas connected to your AP for more gain?

In Dun Laoghaire harbour, they have 2x cameras located on the Stena HSS berth. Each camera has a box on the back of the mounting pole which I guess is linking back to an AP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I can also suggest having a look at these: http://www.wi-pipe.com/nanostation5-p-314.html

Advertisement