Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation Acknowledgments

Options
  • 30-04-2008 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have a template (read: their own to put on boards:D) for the acknowledgments page for an undergrad dissertation? I've googled it into oblivion but keep getting tacky American sites or slightly weird sounding ones, thanking bfs and gfs etc etc.

I basically need to thank a couple of lecturers and the library peeps, and include the obligatory 'I did not plagiarise any of this, honest' declaration. I feel a muppet asking my supervisor how to word the page where I thank him!

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ellscurr wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone have a template (read: their own to put on boards:D) for the acknowledgments page for an undergrad dissertation? I've googled it into oblivion but keep getting tacky American sites or slightly weird sounding ones, thanking bfs and gfs etc etc.

I basically need to thank a couple of lecturers and the library peeps, and include the obligatory 'I did not plagiarise any of this, honest' declaration. I feel a muppet asking my supervisor how to word the page where I thank him!

Thanks in advance...

Go to your college library and see what previous students have done in their dissertations.

Either way, it is usually a simple, short paragraph with no bull or insincerity. Just remember you aren't writing an Oscar acceptance speech.

I think I even thanked my wife in mine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks for that Tom Dunne. Unforunately my library 'claims' they don't have any copies of previous dissertations, likewise with my department etc etc. I think they think we're going to photocopy them and put our own name on the front or something. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Well for mine i looked at a lot of old theses and it ranged from just random thanks to full pages. We were allowed to keep ours very chilled out though

Mine was a mix of serious thanks and then a few in jokes for people.

To Dr. O' Brien I extend my sincere gratitude for all your help. Without your
    generosity this project could not have been completed.

That was my one really serious line.

Advertisement