Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy behaviour

Options
  • 30-04-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi All - can somebody please tell me if this is normal behaviour for a puppy.
    Very quiet, basically where you put him he’ll stay until you move him somewhere else. I’ve only seen him sleep but get wag of the tail every now and again.
    He has a bit of a runny nose and breath a little heavy at night but im told that is normal.
    Is this something to be concerned about ? I am assuming he just needs to settle into a new home and was going to give him a couple of days until I got him checked at a vet.

Only had him since last night and will call the vet/breeders anyway but thought id check on here aswell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Take him to a vet now! Puppies should be full of life - running all over the place etc. They should not have a runny nose or breath heavy unless he has worn himself out playing! They play hard then crash just like toddlers will do in humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

is he eating ???? try him with some meat ham or sausage etc. if he turns his nose up at it vet straight away...

let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Vet immediately! A pup should be full of life.

How did you manage to get a pup so fast? You were only talking about puggles 2 days ago and that's not enough time to suss out a breeder. How was the pup behaving in the breeders place, how was the rest of the litter?

Hope he's doing better today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 EPDD

Thanks for the replys! id read similiar advice on the net so started to get worried, but wondered if i was paro as it only had been 12hours.

was told to feed him dry food which he wudnt eat. tried wet food lastnight and he ate and drunk then wudnt leave anyone alone all night. and woke me up at 7 to play.

so hes grand now! only drinks wen he eats tho, so he may have been dehyrated hence heavy breathing

thx lot for ur replys, ill probably be on again.

gna get him vet checked next week, just general check

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I remember when I first brought my pup home from the dog's home. She was very quiet and withdrawn like your own. Then after a day or two, all hell broke loose! She became a typical, playful, crazy pup. I think a new home can be initially stressful for a wee pup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I fostered pups a while ago and they came from the pound absolutely riddled with worms. They were listless and dull. Have this checked out. If it is worms then you are not in for an easy time. I had 3 weeks of runny poos, crying all night, vomiting sad listless puppies that would break your heart. Luckily they all recovered. Became fun, happy bouncy butter balls. Then they went to their forever homes. I missed all the good bits :(

I want a dog!!! :(:(:(

Advertisement