Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety???..

Options
  • 30-04-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

I wasn't at the Gathering so I'm only going on whats been written

I think people are missing a major point thats been identified by the event

Safety!!!!... or lack of it

Guns falling out of holsters in the safe zone after play had finished with the mag still in and then BEING PICKED UP BY THE TRIGGER???? resulting in the not surprising ND

People being aggresive towards each other and then blaming ALCOHOL????

It's obvious people need to be told how to behave around airsoft devices and that alcohol and airsoft devices shouldn't be mixed.

The IAA mentioned they were in the process of drafting an Airsoft Safety briefing document. What stage is this at? Whos' consulting on it?

I'm sure during gameplay the marshals had a handle on it, but it appears peoples own personal responsability and saftey skills could be improved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I wasn't at the Gathering so I'm only going on whats been written

I think people are missing a major point thats been identified by the event

Safety!!!!... or lack of it

Guns falling out of holsters in the safe zone after play had finished with the mag still in and then BEING PICKED UP BY THE TRIGGER???? resulting in the not surprising ND

People being aggresive towards each other and then blaming ALCOHOL????

It's obvious people need to be told how to behave around airsoft devices and that alcohol and airsoft devices shouldn't be mixed.

The IAA mentioned they were in the process of drafting an Airsoft Safety briefing document. What stage is this at? Whos' consulting on it?

I'm sure during gameplay the marshals had a handle on it, but it appears peoples own personal responsability and saftey skills could be improved.

I was there, and I can tell you that safety was great, and the rules were enforced. I certainly didn't attend the event that you're describing. A small minority who kept quiet about these issues over the weekend are getting on the boards after the event and stirring it up, I recommend that you ask for the thread to be closed and leave it be.

Any large event will see some incidents, but if people don't follow the rules then there will be lapses. you can't watch everyone, all the time. If people's own personal responsibility and safety skills could be improved, then they should work on it, or attend an appropriate course, and stay away from events such as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

As I said in my post, I'm sure the safety during gameplay and in general was great. I havent described the event at all, just commented on two aspects of it (both of which have been admitted to) that I thought should cause concern. I'm not interested in any other 'incidents' which may or may not have occured.

I was looking for an update and information on the IAA safety breifing and highlighting that safety breaches are still occuring. You have to admit that the reasons behind the ND are quite inexcusable.

Also, I wanted to raise the question of having drink at an Airsoft event. A wise idea?? I understand people will want to wind down and relax with a few bevvies... Should protocols be in place. Should all the guns be locked away securly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    The safety guidlines are being drafted by the IAA Marshal Sub-Committee.
    These will hopefully be published in the coming weeks.

In future please use the official channels of communication.

Email: info@irishairsoft.ie
    Forum: http://irishairsoft.ie/forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Also, I wanted to raise the question of having drink at an Airsoft event. A wise idea?? I understand people will want to wind down and relax with a few bevvies... Should protocols be in place. Should all the guns be locked away securly?

Drinking was done after the games were over and equipment packed away. The discharge that seems to have caused such uproar was at 3am in the morning when just about everyone was in their tents and someone's pistol (that they had forgotten to pack away .. easily done when it's on a belt and you forget it's there) dropped to teh ground and was picked up incorrectly.

As for beer .... why not? Once nobody's running around under the influence and trying to play airsoft what's the problem? There was no problem at ground-Zero and there was around 1100 people at that last year and we had quite a bit to drink after hours with a whole host of different nationalities in the campsight. All very social and good fun. Nobody was getting paralatic though, if that's what you think. Nor did anyone get paralatic at G-Tac.

Dr Pepper: Thank you!

Lemming: If all the kit had been packed away and secured.. no problems. Obviously one had slipped through and that happened to result in an ND. Something needs to be in place to ensure this doesn't happen again, even if it means buddying up and checking each others kit. Forgetting a pistol's in a holster, where it's been all day, and where you'ld expect it to be, shouldn't really be happening, and leaving the magazine in breaches GTACs own site rules. Safety's a personal responsability and something quite important to me as I'm sure it is to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

As I said in my post, I'm sure the safety during gameplay and in general was great. I havent described the event at all, just commented on two aspects of it (both of which have been admitted to) that I thought should cause concern. I'm not interested in any other 'incidents' which may or may not have occured.

I was looking for an update and information on the IAA safety breifing and highlighting that safety breaches are still occuring. You have to admit that the reasons behind the ND are quite inexcusable.

Sorry, I'm probably overreacting a bit, but you can see the rubbish being bandied about elsewhere. I thought it was very safe and well-organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

As you said JonAnderton the few issues that there were indicate a lack of personal effort on those people to keep safety in mind at all times.
    Hence the whole reason for the Safety document :)

Again thanks as its something im going to have to announce to the world now.
    Pfft more work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

Lemming: If all the kit had been packed away and secured.. no problems. Obviously one had slipped through and that happened to result in an ND. Something needs to be in place to ensure this doesn't happen again, even if it means buddying up and checking each others kit. Forgetting a pistol's in a holster, where it's been all day, and where you'ld expect it to be, shouldn't really be happening, and leaving the magazine in breaches GTACs own site rules. Safety's a personal responsability and something quite important to me as I'm sure it is to you.

to be honest its starting to sound like someone got their hand blown off by the accidential discharge!!!!!
    I for one will never be part of something which employs a buddy system to check my gear, there not real for Gods sake, and im not gonna blow my head off in the night becasue my pistol was still loaded,
    i agree that they shouldnt be loaded when not in use, i follow this rule, but lets stop treating this like someone was mortally wounded,
    otherwise someone(not an airsofter)will see this and say'hey, these things are dangerous, look at the way these people are talking'

Dr Pepper... you love it!!!!! :D:D

kevteljeur: I've been reading all the other posts and as I said, I was more concerned that everyone seems more intrested in slagging off the IAA and occurences unrelated to the actual airsofting event, and everyone was missing some salient points...

No one needs to defend their actions me, just ensure it doesn't happen again...

killinator: GTACs own rules, as most sites state that devices should be unloaded and mags removed when in the safety zone for a good reason.. it's not about having lethal injuries, but avoiding any injury at all.

Safety rules are something quite important to me for reasons i'm not going to go into here but if you feel i'm over reacting by suggesting that procedures need to be in place to prevent ND's and uneccesary injury, I'll be loathe to appologise

They're only plastic balls eh...

Justifys the IAA safety brief

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Killinator wrote: »
    to be honest its starting to sound like someone got their hand blown off by the accidential discharge!!!!!
    I for one will never be part of something which employs a buddy system to check my gear, there not real for Gods sake, and im not gonna blow my head off in the night becasue my pistol was still loaded,

Iv had nasty cuts and seen someone get a full auto blast in the face at close range that cut their face and would have been alot worse if eye protection wasn't used. What ever about hurting your self but what about others? Safety is important and taken for ganted at times because people think "their not real so not dangerous"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Not very constructive really. And no they are not RS. But its the handling and safety protocols at question here, and at the end of the day, it just proves how easy it is to Fcuk up! Hivemind, can tell you that.

my point wasnt that its isnt dangerous so who cares,
    my point is some people seem prepared to hoist the 'culprit' onto a cross for an ACCIDENT,
    of course there are procedures in place, im sure the person knew that, it still happens occasionally that someone makes a mistake,

and yes I HAVE been cut up by bryers and thorns becasue i regularly attend G-Tac, i have had full auto by 3 guns at once from close range,

im just saying that one of the MAIN defenses for airsoft used on the radio/newspaperss,etc was that these guns arent dangerous(in relative terms) so why are people suddenly treating it like someone could have been seriously injured by a mistake that could of happened to anyone, even some of the 'gods' here!!!!

The incident has happened and is done with. End of. Not here to judge or convict. My point it needs to be prevented from happening again to PREVENT any POSSIBLE injury occuring and promote good etiquette.

Surley by showing we're promoting good and responsable behaviour can only be a good thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Well bugger me sideways with a DBoys SPR. A stupid accident occured. This happens. Next time it won't. We could spend months debating exactly what rules should be applied to such matters, and what the comesurate penalty should be. However we must also remember while we are at it:

We are not dealing with firearms here. - They're frickin' toys.

Sometimes we just have to get over ourselves......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Well bugger me sideways with a DBoys SPR. A stupid accident occured. This happens. Next time it won't. We could spend months debating exactly what rules should be applied to such matters, and what the comesurate penalty should be. However we must also remember while we are at it:

We are not dealing with firearms here. - They're frickin' toys.

Sometimes we just have to get over ourselves......

Well said man was about to pop that down myself

who here hasnt done something wrong/stupid/made a mistake with there stuff,
    ive personally shot off a round with my pistol when it was in its holster becasue i forgot i hadnt taken the mag out and put it in its pouch, funnily enough nobody made a big deal of that,

i just laughed with others becasue if it was real i more than likely would have blown my knee-cap off, BUT it wasnt real, so no harm done

this is only coming up because it was a big event.

I think the point of this thread has been lost.... and I'm getting bored by people reminding me they're only toys...

It's irrelevant where it happened.. if I had been out at a regulsr site and it had happened, i would have mentioned it.

I appologise for taking this all far too seriously and next time my mate takes a ND to the face I'll remind him how lucky he was to have been shot by a toy...

Mods. Please close this thread

I think the point of this thread has been lost....

I appologise for taking this all far too seriously and next time my mate takes a ND to the face I'll remind him how lucky he was.

yeah becasue thats what we were talking about!!!!!!!:mad:
    you expect people to get what your saying but jump on us when its not what you want to hear,
    yeah have the thread locked, what a surprise that its the just after more than one person comes on with a differing view

????????????????.... I started this thread stating that the safety issues that occured at the event had been sidelined over the other issues and asked what the IAA were doing about the safety briefing and what could be implemented.

Others then come in and said we were taking this too seriously as we were only playing with toys.

I havent jumped on anybody but resent being told that i'm basically being to serious about it all cos we're only playing with toys..

I was requesting the thread lock as the point had been lost. It was to discuss what improvements to safety could be implemented, but others decided that safety was fine as they're only toys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Look, John. You have a point. But only up to a point. Sites already say that no mags should be in the safe zone. We all know that AEGs and alcohol don't mix. But remember this sport is firstly non leathal. The power limit ensures that. Secondly the sport is based primarily on the honours system in all aspects as it is.
    That demands a level of personal responsibility. However accidents happen from time to time. And you are right. Your mate would be lucky it wasn't real.

Snide comment aside.

Adding more rules to a situation which would already have breached two existing ones seems a little over and above, and would not have prevented it occuring anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Nobody's arguing against you Jon in that safety should be fairly close to the front of every player's mind, but at the same we need some perspective here.

You'll never be able to stop ALL accidents from occuring. Hence why they're called accidents. It's the circumstances surrounding the accident that make or break how to proceed with what to do next. Looking in context of this particular accident, there were absolutely sod all people around it at the time (indeed most being safely ensconsced behind tent covers and/or sleeping bags).

I mean, the only way remove the possibility of all accidents occuring is to ban the game. Which is, needless to say, draconian as much as it is absurd.

and i resent what you implied in your last post about accidently discharging n your mates face, you know thats not what im talking abot,
    I am for safety, you cant stop thing like this from happening, it will happen again, i know of loads of examples of these things happening,
    i also know of someone else at the gathering who accidently disharged a round when everyone was eating(i wont say who becasue its not my place to name), becasue it was an aeg nobody even noticed, but it happened

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Right everyones had their say so as the OP requested closed....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement