Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router with good range

Options
  • 30-04-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a wireless router with good range?

Currently have a ZyXEL (free with bt broadband). Need longer range.

Otherwise anyone know of any good shops to get one. Living in Tipp but am up and down to Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Have you thought about using a external antenna with extra gain? Or one with a directional antenna?

In fact, have a go at re-positioning the wireless router, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

WUSBDesign wrote: »
    Have you thought about using a external antenna with extra gain? Or one with a directional antenna?

In fact, have a go at re-positioning the wireless router, if possible.

Looked into repositioning router. Unfortunately it is quite central in the building and quite central in the room and still does not have the necessary signal range. This probably means a directional antenna is not the solution either.

I was looking into this and thought it looked quite good. The reviews are good but it would mean I would have a solution for my laptop but it wouldn't be the solution for the building. Any other people in the building wouldn't get a wireless connection (unless they were very close to the router or had a similar antenna).

Was looking at maybe getting 1 or 2 repeaters. Anyone recommend any type. I was reading it is recommended you get the same make as your router but I'm guessing since my router is a freebie (ZyXEL) it probably is not the best make and therefore should look into another repeater.

Any help??

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

"Living in Tipp but am up and down to Dublin."

You'll never get range like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

I'm reluctant to suggest a wireless AP with Pre-N, MIMO, etc. capabilities since it could turn out to be an expensive/time-wasting affair. Try borrowing one and see if this satisfies your range requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

How solid are the walls in the building? Have you used NetStumbler to check the siganl strength and look for weak spots?

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Not sure if this would help or not but I got one of these Linksys routers and because it's Linux based I use custom firmware to extend the range. The signal actually reaches my parents house over 200 feet away.

More info HERE

Advertisement