Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat wireless setup

Options
  • 30-04-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

In my flat in college I have internet in my room (just plug the ethernet cable into the wall and it works). but I also have an eircom wireless netopia modem.

I want to be able to use the net in the kitchen so I don't have to be antisocial when I want to use the net. I plugged the wireless modem into the wall via one of the ethernet ports and all I can see on the laptop is a local connection (no internet).

What settings do I have to set the modem/router up to connect to the internet via wireless? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You probably have to configure the netopia as a bridge. It's modem is not going to be used so it's only function is to bridge the LAN to wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

rrpc wrote: »
    You probably have to configure the netopia as a bridge. It's modem is not going to be used so it's only function is to bridge the LAN to wireless.
    +1

You will just be redirecting DHCP from the router connected to your flat so you will be obtaining IP addresses from this rather than your netopia router so essentially the netopia will only act as an Access Point.
    It is important that you turn off the DHCP Server feature in the router as it might cause conflicts with the flat's router.

Quickly doing a google there gave me this: http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CQG_020-002.html

Havn't read it but i'm sure it what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement