Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy Shocker

Options
  • 30-04-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

OK, here's a weird one. I have a boxer lab X and about once in every 5 or 6 times I pet her I get a static shock from her coat. I would imagine that she feels it too and its not pleasant for either of us.

At first I was wondering if it is because of the central heating drying the air but in the past few weeks I've had the heat down low or off and the patio door open quite a bit so it is hard to see how humidity could be the issue.

Her coat is short and she's just gone through a major moult (had a furry snowstorm here for a few weeks). She's a house dog and I would bath her maybe every 3 weeks so she doesn't gas me (I work from home so she's always at my feet during the day).

2413518086_457e764af9_m.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and/or if anyone has suggestions about how to reduce or eliminate it for both our sakes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Oh I get this too with my cats! I feel bad cause i can see it hurts their little noses and I think they think its me that hurt them! :D

It seems to happen due to wearing synthetic clothes. But sometimes its too much hassle to change into natural fabrics just to pet a cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's most likely as a result of the type of soles on your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. The shoe theory is an interesting one actually as I usually wear MBTs with big rubber soles. Will see if it makes any difference changing footwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. The shoe theory is an interesting one actually as I usually wear MBTs with big rubber soles. Will see if it makes any difference changing footwear.

Not a theory. This is the most common cause of electro-static shocks.

Um, ok.......

Next question is, how can I ground my shoes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Forever getting static shocks not from the animals though. Esp. in Dunnes for some reason if I touch any metal shelving or lids etc or the car. Interesting about the shoes, Im usually in either runners or wellies most of the time..important round here with all the doggy land mines.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I often hear the static electricty in the dogs coat when I rub the hair against the way it grows, haven't got a shock though yet! It seems to build up in sunny weather.

I always seem to get them from the car door, and I HATE it!!!

Yeah, a lot of people seem to get them from car doors but it has never happened me - actually never got them from anything until Holly arrived.

Before the discovery of static electricity I'm pretty sure she would have been tried as a witch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Hey no advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say that your dog is beautiful! She is really unusual looking.

I'm forever gettin static shocks, so if you find a solution let us know!

Advertisement