Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing Honours Maths :o

Options
  • 29-04-2008 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Im kinda struggling with honours maths at the minute, its mostly due to a lack of study / effort over the year, I'm pretty good at certain topics and pretty weak at others...

Strengths:

Vectors
    Algebra
    Trig
    Differentiation
    Integration

Weaknesses:

Sequences & Series
    Further Series
    Binomial Expansion and general term etc etc....

I need a C3 (55%) for my course, So what questions do people recommend, does anyone have any tips / advice for the last month that will help me get 55% ?

Any help greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Well, youe strengths seem to be covering the majority of the paper. You say your good at algebra, a lot of the circle can be done very algebraiclly- use g's, f's and c's rather then h's and k's. After that... just do questions. As many as you can. Ask your teacher when you can't do something. Concentrate on a and b parts as well, and for the c's, do what you can. An attempt mark is better than zero, and everything will add up. Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Thanks, I'm doing pretty well at a lot of the exam questions but Paper1 Q5 really got me down today :(

Back to the books!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

on the examsupport.ie they have a tutorial of how to get a C in h maths.. have a look at that, you might find it useful ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

This was the same position i was in last year, couldnt get to grips with any of your weak topics either so i left them all out and studied the ones i was good at. I had to do a bit on further series but that was it! I ended up with a B1 it is a gamble and maybe i was lucky with the easyish questions that came up. I dont think there is any point studying for all the questions on the course, so maybe you should only study for 7 questions on each paper and leave your 2 worst questions out??

Yuugib wrote: »
    on the examsupport.ie they have a tutorial of how to get a C in h maths.. have a look at that, you might find it useful ;)

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Your teacher mightn't agree but just pick 6 questions to concentrate on in both papers.

You should be grand for paper 1, 2qs on algerbra, 2qs on differentiation and 1 on integration.

Paper 2, I would recommend blitzing probability and such. q6 in particular can be very easy if you're good at it, as part b is always a difference equation and they're simple.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Yeah i'm getting pretty good at Q6&7 on Paper 2 after trying lots of them..

Sequences & Series seem to pop up everywhere and i'm pretty crap at it, Any tips / recommendations?

Thanks again, that free examsupport.ie guide was great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I'm in the same position as you....where I need to get a C3 in honours maths. I got 44% in my mocks, and I've been concentrating on maths since then so I'm hopeful.

How did you do in your mocks?

Slightly less than that :o

It was a really tough paper though and I was unprepared... 5 weeks till the real deal now! BRING IT ON!! :D

Advertisement