Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish losing scales-anyone know what to do?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

I have a goldfish for about 4 years its been healthy and happy the whole time. Yesterday I noticed that one of its scales on its side was missing. Today I just looked and he's lost 4 or 5 more. I have moved him from a bowl to one of those Aldi aquariums with a pump and an ornament about a month ago and he has seemed grand until this.
    Should I be worried or is this normal? Anyone know what I should do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I have a goldfish for about 4 years its been healthy and happy the whole time. Yesterday I noticed that one of its scales on its side was missing. Today I just looked and he's lost 4 or 5 more. I have moved him from a bowl to one of those Aldi aquariums with a pump and an ornament about a month ago and he has seemed grand until this.
    Should I be worried or is this normal? Anyone know what I should do?
    i think it might be fin rot amd there is treatments for it.Wait for more response from the other members before you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IMsOgr8

Ok could you have knocked the fish while transfering it to the new tank if you fished him out with a net and he did some almighty thrashing about. Has the ornament you have in the tank any sharp edges usually its things like this that damage scales unfortunately from the scale damage ive seen they dont grow back.If its not that maybe some kind of fungal or bacterial infection maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Yeah there was an ornament in there and he has been more active since I put him in there so I figured it could be from him hitting off it. Have taken it out now anyway and hopefully it'll stop. From looking at google there seems to be a chance he has ich or something thats making him itchy but I dont see any white or signs other than the lost scales. Hopefully he'll recover anyway. Any other suggestions would be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I am no expert on Goldfish but you might want to consider adding some salt in the water (aquarium salt, not table salt) to correct dosage along with large water changes (50%) while making sure the other inhabitants (if there are any) can tolerate these conditions.
    ESha products are also quite efficient as a broad treatment for all sorts of conditions.
    www.irishfishkeepers.com is an Irish based discussion forum which discusses all these sort of things. You might want to have a look :-)
    I hope this helps.
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Thanks for that. I'll have a look over there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement