Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off on Piano. Advice please.

Options
  • 29-04-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Ok, about to finish my degree, finally have some free time and more importantly, money. So I want to realise one of my lifes dreams, which is to become a good(ish) piano player. (please don't laugh that I consider this a dream :o)

Background: I can play guitar pretty well, can read sheet music, know the scales (major and minor) on a piano and that's about it. I don't know why C Ionian contains the same notes as F Mixolydian or A Aeolian, but I know it does... I think. In any case, I've always been comfortable playing music, on any instrument.

Anyway, I'm looking for tips to start off. Should I buy a proper piano or buy an electronic one? Should I go for lessons or teach myself (ala guitar)? If I go for lessons, what should I look for and if I don't, where is a good starting point? I'm sure a fews posters here have experience.

Mods, move if you think it's more suitable elsewhere, but I chose here because I want to play classical, and the instrument forum seems guitar biased...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Can only comment on my own experience but possibly not dissimilar to your situation. Had played piano(to an insignificant level) for 2 years as a child but was happy to give it up. Hitting my 20s though and started to think I would like to give it a go. Did nothing about it for 10 years however.......

Then bought a digital piano (E2500 ish), chosen over an acoustic due to the family, neighbour and self esteem benefit of being able to play with earphones. Music knowledge before starting was inferiour to your own, but could follow a score and listen to a lot of classical music.

Had in mind to go for lessons but just started playing and found myself making progress that was satisfactory to me without doing so. Still at it 3 years later and enjoying it. Delighted i did eventually get one. Comparing myself to some kids going through the grades, am probably about G4 but am sure I am playing with technique faults that professionals would disapprove of. But its only for my own entertainment, no ambitions to entertain, teach, earn diplomas etc, and have built up a small repertoire of 12-15 peices that give me good enjoyment to play. Generally working on 2 or 3 new pieces at a time, probably averaging 3 or 4 cumulative hours per week. Out of copyright scores easily availble free on the net (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart etc) that interested me with fingering normally marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'm going to be awkward here and say if you've got a bit of time on your hands, and you're prepared to sit down at it for a while everyday, then you'll probably do fine just teaching yourself. The advantage to going to lessons though, is that you are more likely to practice regularly.Plus if you get a decent teacher you'll be able to bring in pieces you'd like to learn and build up a repertoire. You say "good" is what you'd like to be...it just never hurts to have some constructive criticism on the go!I've learned the piano to quite a high standard, and it definitely helps to go to lessons, you are far more likely to practice.
    On the piano front, I'd always chose a proper piano, but that's cause I've been playing for years, and it makes a huge difference to me. If you don't want to spend massive money on one you can get second-hand pianos, which have been refurbished, for quite a decent price. Just watch where they come from...pianos built in Italy or Germany or wherever, are built of materials for their climates. They don't do so well in a damp climate like Ireland.Or you could just go for one at the lower end of the price scale.Plus there are pianos out there now that have a headphone attachment, so you can plug in and only hear yourself playing. But they are a bit pricier. if you are going to put a good bit of effort into it, then it might be worth your while buying a proper piano.
    Best of luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

On the issue or teacher/not teacher, i think the incentive to practise is a valid benefit for children who might need the motivation of an adult's assessment being made of their efforts on a regular basis (and for their parents to remind them of the impending weekly lesson).

But as an adult, I think either you want to practise or you dont. The benefit of the teacher in that case is if you really do wish to learn good technique, and get personal guidance to steer you on the way to become a fine pianist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

or a grand pianist.

:confused:

nah, sounded funnier in my head. never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

or a grand pianist.

:confused:

nah, sounded funnier in my head. never mind.

I liked it. :) Thanks for the advice guys.

Also, I've changed my mind. I no longer want to be a good pianist, I want to be at least as good as Boris Berezovsky.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Berezovsky is unbelievable. He's a complete technical wizard, and while he may not be the greatest pianist of our age his unbelievable technique alone puts him up there with the best. Looking forward to his NCH concert next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Berezovsky is unbelievable. He's a complete technical wizard, and while he may not be the greatest pianist of our age his unbelievable technique alone puts him up there with the best. Looking forward to his NCH concert next year.

Thanks for the heads up, booking tickets asap!

His Islamey is jaw-dropping. I like virtuoso pieces to a certain extent, not overly so, but his interpretation... Just plain amazing. And Chopin's Etudes, WOW!!! There's a french language documentary about him on youtube, english subs, worth a watch.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Haven't actually heard his Islamey. Though anyone who can play those Chopin-Godowsky transcriptions deserves reverence for technique alone.

And in answer to the original question, I'd suggest finding an affable but knowledgeable teacher whose personality suits you—someone who'll be a wise guide but also a good tutor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'm going for the Rach Sonata, the etudes are the icing on the cake for me. :)

OP, I personally recomend getting a teacher. Technique may not sound interesting, but playing something the 'wrong way', can lead to injuries (I speak from experience, my right wrist is a bit wonky).

I've just finished my grades, and If I had had my time over, I'd never do them. It was a massive wake up call coming to college and realising I knew nothing about my instrument. But this is just my opinion. I hear the syllabus is changing at the RIAM to include figured bass and chord progressions, and a good teacher should teach you more than just the bare minimum required for the grades. Unfortunately I didn't get a good teacher till I got to college. :)

It really depends on what you want to do. If you wanna be Boris, I recomend quitting your job and practicing every waking hour, and some sleeping ones too! :D

What kind of pianist do you want to be? Do you want to show off a repetoire? Or do you want to be able to play at sight the first time its put in front of you? Perhaps you want to be a crazy improv wizard?

What ever your answer, Doshea is right, a good teacher is the answer, one who will listen and then guide accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Man, I'm the exact same as loads of people. When I was younger I did piano up to grade two but then stopped because my teacher moved away. I've beenb really thinking about going back but I don't really have time to go to lessons. Couls anyone reccommend a book that I could teach myself with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

How do you get to Carnegie hall?

Practice.

Ill get my coat:pac:

Advertisement