Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to connect ipod to sound system

Options
  • 29-04-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've just bought a new ipod classic and intended to incorporate it into a sound system in my new house that I'm building. I am getting my living room wired for speakers and after discussions with an electrician he sugessted that I could incorporate a surround sound system for my tv with the ipod. Does anyone know the ins and outs of the type of system I need, I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible. Can an ipod be connected into one of these systems or whats the story, any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i seen a system like this in a show house
    basicially there was something like an amp sitting in the utility room with the ipod connected to it and radio/cd etc. and the cableing went from there to all rooms in the house. each room had a control to selct the input and volume

it was sweet, i wish i had it in my house, but i am not ripping out the walls to put in the cableing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Hi RoisieK,

I built my own house a few years back also, and although I thought I covered everything to this day I am still trying to run wires to various different locations.

I understand cost is a factor for you now, however trying to run wires at a later date will be a nightmare to say the least. When building, it should not add that much cost for an electrician to run extra cables when he is already running cabling for lights, phones, sockets, etc.. You don't always have to use all the cables initially but at least they are there for you.

If I was to do it all over, I would probably have one central point in the house where everything is run back too, and connected up to various equipment.

It should be no issue to connect an IPOD to any decent set-up, so once the wires are there you are sorted. Only guidance I would give, is to ensure the electrician uses SPEAKER cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Before you go down the line of laying cable everywhere, have you looked at something like Sonos (http://www.sonos.com/products/index.htm). It a wireless system designed to allow you to stream music all around your house from a central server.
    Squeezebox/Transporter from slimdevices is another option.

As for connecting an Ipod to any music system - all you need is a line in on your amp and connect your Ipod to that. Controlling the ipod from any room in the house is another story...

Advertisement