Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

720p or 1080i

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

720p or 1080i, which is best or what is your preference

Is there actually a noticeable difference between the two?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

1080i. Only a robot could notice the interlacing.

Only a slightly less sophisticated robot could tell the difference between 720p and 1080i though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

One more time for luck ,

Any flatscreen you can get in this country can only show progressive , they cant do interlaced. ( unless you have a hitachi alis , in which case you have more pressing problems to think about). The content must be de-interlaced before its shown on the screen , so you cant notice the interlacing because the screens cant actually show it.

( Bad de interlacers on the other hand are an entirely different matter)

The upshot of this is , that yes there is a big difference between 1080i and 720p , as the 1080i signal will be de-interlaced by your TV and shown as 1080p if your TV has that resolution.

1080i content shown on a flatscreen with a 1920 x 1080 native res always has that resolution whereas 720p will be upscaled.

Indeed , there is little or no difference between 1080i and 1080p when shown on a flatscreen as what you see will be 1080p regardless.

The only content you are likely to see a difference between 1080i and 1080p is live sports actually shot in 1080i ( or live broadcasts in general) , and that will show as movement judder. ( a consequence of the de-interlacing and subject movement between frames)

Most other content is originally progressive and only interlaced to save on broadcast bandwidth..in which case the de-interlacing is just restoring the original 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

mathias, my telly cant do 1080p, so which would you recommend 720p or 1080i

thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I would normally recommend that you set it as close as possible to the resolution of your TV, so if your tv is 1366 x 768 then 720p.

However that depends on how good your TV's scaler is , so the best thing to do is try both and see which one you prefer.

In the vast majority of cases the Scaler in your TV will turn out to be the best one you have , so its just a question of feeding the content to it in its native resolution and letting the TV scale it.

Advertisement