Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Economical (relatively) 4x4 vehicles

Options
  • 29-04-2008 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm a big hunting nut and the '97 corolla struggles with some of the places I bring it. :p

Just wodering are there any reliable 4x4 which do above 40mpg?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Suzuki Jimny springs to mind.

Between 7.5 - 9.5 l/100 km, depending on driving style and terrain.

Pity they don't do the diesel in RHD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Subaru Justy or Fiat Panda 4x4? :D

There are Jap-import Corolla's and Caldina's (Jap versions of the Carina and Avensis) that have 4WD. You might want to give them a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

My Wife has a CRV 2.2 diesel, averages over 40mpg around town, 50+ on the open road, great to drive and quiet as a mouse:rolleyes:

Not a hunting vehicle but it will go further than a Corolla, I have a new Hilux myself for hunting, but lucky to get 35mpg combined. I can get 40mpg on an open road keeping around 60mph!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My RAV4 2.0L D4D does just over 40mpg out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Check out the Skoda Octavia Scout. It's an estate 4wd, and they now do it in the 2.0TDI. It has 17mm more ground clearance than the standard Octavia (nothing compared to an SUV, but beats the Corolla!).

I'm seriously considering one when I next change my Passat Est TDI in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Unless your going seriously off roading or driving through fields then 4x4 isnt that necessary, for country lanes and dirt tracks then good ground clearance much more important (although its nice to know that you have the 4x4 as a back up)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Vitara TD should see (relatively) good mpg. The D4d landcruisers and hiluxs are supposed to get reasonable mpg too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

vitara is a nice machine, fairly cheap to run and comfortable also easier to manouver than the bigger jeeps. It was a toss up between a vitara and terrano to replace my pajero (terrano won coz the vitara had a "D" on the reg plate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

peasant wrote: »
    Suzuki Jimny springs to mind.

Between 7.5 - 9.5 l/100 km, depending on driving style and terrain.

Pity they don't do the diesel in RHD.
    brought a old suzuki jimny off road before, and it was class
    very light and could only ever have one wheel in the ruts left by other 4x4s hence the ground clearance not being an issue
    would look funny with a deer on the roof all the same! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In Germany you can get the Jimny "Ranger" from your dealer ...in hunter's green, complete with boot protector, dog guard and maglite :D

http://www.suzuki-auto.de/auto/live/modelle/jimny/ranger/innendesign.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

landydef wrote: »
    brought a old suzuki jimny off road before, and it was class
    very light and could only ever have one wheel in the ruts left by other 4x4s hence the ground clearance not being an issue
    would look funny with a deer on the roof all the same! :D

A buddy of mine had a '88/'89 vitara it had the hinges on the outside of the doors we used it for 4/5 years for deerhunting it must have carried 200+ deer over the years although never on the roof, that van went places that i never thought possible, most of the time it was close your eyes and hope for the best. It got stuck a few times but it was so light it was never a big deal to get it out.
    Suzukis are way under rated, nowhere near a defender in off road capability, but personally i dont like them. i had ex ESB defender for a season and i used to be exhausted after the drive down to the lease (50 miles) never mind stalk a deer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

http://www.suzuki-auto.de/auto/live/modelle/jimny/ranger/innendesign.html[/quote]

LOL whats with the tennis balls whats he gonna do,ace the animals to death?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

What about one of the soft 4x4s from Peugeot and Citreon or even the Mitsubishi Outlander or Hyundai Santa-Fe, they would have the ground clearance and according to the promo should get decent MPG. Any opinions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Drove the Citroen C-Crosser for a weekend. Was very very comfy and car like on the road. Didn't take it off road though. I would say economy would have been in the low 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Generally speaking real 4x4s, i.e. anything with a low range box that is decent off road will not get above mid 30s mpg, I cant think of any that do. I hear that the newer D4D LandCruisers are supposed to be fairly economical (30+mpg) but that would be the best I can think off.

Some smaller SUVs like the CRV, Rav4, Xtrail with 2.0/2.2 diesel engines would get high 30's/low 40's mpg but they aren't real 4x4s, they dont have low range/diff locks/decent wheel articulation. Actually the new Freelander 2.2 diesel with the stop start engine turn off thing would be the closest thing to a real 4x4 with decent mpg, I think its claimed to do 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

I'vr just had a 08 freelander TD4 for the weekend , the display on the dash says 8.4l/100km, that's on fairly hard driving, probably get bout 8l/100km driving normally.

Advertisement