Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubridy, RTE Radio 1, right now!

Options
  • 29-04-2008 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Ryan Tubridy is doing his SUV item this morning, 29 April.

Listen live here- http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Interesting!! Lots of angry text messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this forum going to be full of angry greens (and poets) once they realise its here? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am very environmentally aware, and do more than the average Joe Soap to help. I also have a 4x4, (albiet a small one).

I was behind a little VW Polo this morning with a girl driving it. On the back window was a sticker "One Less 4x4". I just laughed at her ignorance, and went about my day.

prospect wrote: »
    I just laughed at her ignorance, and went about my day.
    See, I don't think we need this type of smug comment either to be honest. The forum should not be a place for 4x4 owners to hide away and talk about the 'ignorance' of other road users in the knowledge that as soon as a user posts a rebuttal the thread will be closed or the user infracted/banned.

Prospect, I don't mean to single out your comment but I'd hate to see the forum become a cliquey little club for all the 4x4 owners to bitch about 'green loonies' or 'liberal, lefty, PC-types' UNLESS peasant allows those people to comment!

r3nu4l wrote: »
    See, I don't think we need this type of smug comment either to be honest. The forum should not be a place for 4x4 owners to hide away and talk about the 'ignorance' of other road users in the knowledge that as soon as a user posts a rebuttal the thread will be closed or the user infracted/banned.

Prospect, I don't mean to single out your comment but I'd hate to see the forum become a cliquey little club for all the 4x4 owners to bitch about 'green loonies' or 'liberal, lefty, PC-types' UNLESS peasant allows those people to comment!

I have no problem with differing opinion. Infact I quite enjoy a reasoned debate.

My comment was not meant to be smug or anything, the reason I laughed was that a single occupant car wit a 1.1L petrol engine is far more environmentally damaging than my 2.0L diesel 4x4 with three occupants.

Having a sticker that says 'One Less 4x4' and not considering all the factors is just ignorant in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So, what did Tubridy actually have to say?
    I'm supposed to be working, can't listen to radio.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I have no problem with differing opinion. Infact I quite enjoy a reasoned debate.

My comment was not meant to be smug or anything, the reason I laughed was that a single occupant car wit a 1.1L petrol engine is far more environmentally damaging than my 2.0L diesel 4x4 with three occupants.

1.2 VW Polo: 138 g/km
    2.2d Toyota Rav4: 185g/km

I've taken the Rav4 as a small 4x4. How is your car less damaging? I'm not particularly 'green', just wondering.
    Having a sticker that says 'One Less 4x4' and not considering all the factors is just ignorant in my opinion.

What factors?

1.2 VW Polo: 138 g/km
    2.0d Toyota Rav4: 202g/km

I've taken the Rav4 as a small 4x4. How is your car less damaging? I'm not particularly 'green', just wondering.

What factors?

Polo with one occupand = 138g per person
    RAV4 with 3 occupants = 67.3g per person

Those factors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That is such a flawed arguement tbh. I take your point onboard though.

That is such a flawed arguement tbh.

Did Tubridy say that? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Load this link into RealAudio later.

http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-tts-thetubridyshow.smil

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

mike65 wrote: »
    Is this forum going to be full of angry greens (and poets) once they realise its here? ;)

Mike.

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

RAV4 with 3 occupants = 67.3g per person

Polo with 3 occupants (could have been your choice of car) = 46g per person. The RAV4 spits out 50% more CO2 ;)

Porsche 928 with one person?

measured in kilogramms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

peasant wrote: »
    Porsche 928 with one person?

measured in kilogramms :D

kg/m to be more precise :D

I'm not the one claiming to be very environmentally aware though ;)

One could almost call you an honorary SUV driver :D:D:D

unkel wrote: »
    Polo with 3 occupants (could have been your choice of car) = 46g per person. The RAV4 spits out 50% more CO2 ;)

It won't tow a twin axel trailer with about a tonne of material every second weekend. Nor would it have enough ground clearance when I am on the bog of Allen.

Would Miss environmentalist actually prefer I have two vehicles? Surely that would be even more damaging.

Why don't the single occupant polo treehuggers get a bus, or a bike or carpool. That would do alot more for the environment than me changing down to a 'slightly' less polluting vehicle.

I have to laugh at the amount of people who think it is perfectly acceptable to criticise freedom of choice, and then in the next breath they will be giving out about the nanny state :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

It's still incredible how the so-called Green initiative has targeted car drivers only.

Let's look at some basic facts and see how "bad" the 4x4 drivers are

1. Agriculture is responsible for 40% of Ireland's CO2 emissions. Measures taken to address this? None

2. Air Travel. A BOEING 737 emits approx 6 tonnes of CO2 per hour in it's flying lifetime. That's equivalent to approximately 23,500km in my Pathfinder. Why haven't the Govt reduced the number of flights out of Ireland? I'm absolutely sure the country would not fall to it's knees if a few flights to some obscure destinations were cancelled, every day.

3. Trucks? Nothing, nothing has been done to reduce the emissions of commercial vehicles.

CO2 reduction is lip-service. All that will happen is a few Greenies and tree-huggers will get a smug smile , the problem, if it exists, will not go away.

All the arguments against 4x4 drivers are nothing more than fashion-police. Moral high-ground environmentalists picking an easy target.

Wasn't this forum supposed to stop all the usual rhetoric sh!te being spouted from both sides? :pac:
    Tree hugger: High CO2, never used off road, lefty, PC, blah blah :rolleyes:

Despicable evildoer: I'm safer, I carry 140 passengers on every journey, off-road every day, planes are worse, selfish, obnoxious blah blah :rolleyes:
    Are we done now? Can I start a thread asking about the Rav4 vs. Suzuki Jimmy and whether they are more environmentally friendly than the Freelander or Defender? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

not stop, reduce!!.
    this thread (and the likes of it) could run a smoke screen for any Genuine threads

• Advertisement

Slig wrote: »
    not stop, reduce!!.
    this thread (and the likes of it) could run a smoke screen for any Genuine threads

A plan so cunning, you could tie a tail to it and call it a fox ! :D

Advertisement