Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boots for PJ

Options
  • 28-04-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I need to put new tyres on my '93 Pajero. It currently has BF Goodrich AT's on and I was wondering if I should go with these again?:confused: What do you find are the best AT tyre out there at the mo? I won't be doing any serious off roading just tackling muddy fields and stubble. Any help would be appriciated :)
    Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

hey there at's(all-terrains) are for 50% off road 50% on road
    there are road tyres for doing 80% road
    mud terrains are if you live in the shyte all the time and don't drive around the roads

i would stick with all terrains or go road tyres if you are doing little offfroad stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I have BFG A/Ts on my Pajero too. I find them to be fantastic. They are great on the road, they can squeal a bit if you push hard around corners and I'd nearly call them a bit slippy in the wet when the Pajero is in 2WD but to me thats to be expected with an A/T tyre. I had Yokohama Geolanders snow tyres on the Paj when it came in from Japan and they were a lot worse on the road than the BFGs!!

I've had the BFGs for nearly 2 years and about 25,000 kms and they are barely worn, as they are a hard compound they last for ages! They are superb in the mud too! I've driven over glass budweiser bottles and smashed them on 2 occasions and the tyres never punctured, and they look CLASS!! The only downside is that they are expensive, I paid €160 a tyre (265/70/R16) when I got mine in summer 2006, and I think that the're about €180 or so in that size now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

Thanks for that lads ;)
    I was looking at the geolander AT's also as they are cheaper than the BFG's, but on reading a few reviews that basically, say what you said farva I was having second thoughts. You have helped make my mind up. The cheapest quote I have got for mine (31 X 10.5/R15) is 140euro which now sounds fairly good :D

bfgs are the best

check out camskill with the dot co dot uk and get a price for supply only

i was quoted just over 500 yoyos for bfgs 33x12.5 r15 for 4
    i priced them here for 200 each

fitting is never a problem cos u can ask anyone to fit them
    if they want to be mean and say no,tough,they lose out on the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I had Yokohama Geolandar AT II on the Jimny and found them to be very good, both on and off road. A lot better then the OEM Bridgestones especially in the wet.
    Never had BF Goodrich, so I can't compare with them.

• Advertisement

My Geolanders were Ice Terrains so that could explain why they were awful, so I dont know what geolander A/Ts are like. I researched my BFGs a lot before I got them and concluded that they were the best choice. Have a look at the Pajero owner's club - www.pocuk.com/forums they have loads of info and threads about good 4x4 tyres there. But at €140 a tyre for 15" BFG A/Ts I' definatley go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

Quote "check out camskill with the dot co dot uk and get a price for supply only"

Ok lads I have just ordered BFG's from this site, thanks a mil for mentioning it Oflynno. It was by far the cheapest site with delivery that I checked out. I got them for 112euro, so I should still save money on getting them fitted.icon14.gif
    The reviews on the pajero link clinched it for me.
    I'm hoping that by putting the best on I will save money over time with wear and tear. Also the worn BFG's I'm using at the moment have still to let me down when I need them most, so this was a plus from the start.

Thanks all for your help, much appriciated.

if you go to the smaller tyre outlets they generally will oblige or get to know a guy who will fit them as a foxer on the way home with the breakdown van:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

test drove a terrano with BFGs, they were slippy on the hard stuff and it took about half an hour for my teeth to stop chattering. Surely a rubber compound that hard couldnt be safe on the road, also there couldnt be much contact with the road surface when the treads are so deep.

I plan on getting a set meself but they will be on seperate wheels only to be used when needed.

tyre pressure too high if its hard on the road

i'm turning 33's at 20psi all around
    the tyre companies get it wrong
    standard tyres 255's are around 35 psi and differ front to rear
    but the bigger the tyre the lower the pressure should be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

used to have bfg a/t tyres found them great even in the wet on tarmac and have a nice corner on them that that can be the difference between getting stuck or not!
    went for the 33x12.5" bfg mud terrains after that, sure there loud,bumpy,slower,they make children cry and ive probably worse mpg but they are class off road!
    got them from http://www.paddockspares.com

oflynno wrote: »
    tyre pressure too high if its hard on the road

i'm turning 33's at 20psi all around
    the tyre companies get it wrong
    standard tyres 255's are around 35 psi and differ front to rear
    but the bigger the tyre the lower the pressure should be

Is 20psi not a bit low? I've got my 265/70/R16s at 30psi on instruction from the supplier and the Pajero owners club website and 30 even looks kind of underinflated!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My best tyres yet are the Hankook Dynapro HP, streets ahead of the other I have used.
    Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 and 21 OK but fastwearing
    BFG Longtrail no longer made in 265/70-16 shame as they were the 2nd best IMO. still available in 265/75-16
    Pirelli Scorpions Grip well but wear out in no time.
    I have Dunlops on at the moment but when they wear I am getting a set of the Hankooks again.
    Can't remember what else I have run, if I do I will post it again
    edit: I have run Bridgestones and they were pure shyte never again!

farva wrote: »
    Is 20psi not a bit low? I've got my 265/70/R16s at 30psi on instruction from the supplier and the Pajero owners club website and 30 even looks kind of underinflated!

thats where the confusion starts

if i go 30 - 35 its hard and all over the gaff

i must find a link on the net to explain it

but since i downed it to 20 all around,the ride is better and the arse stays put on roundabouts

its got something to do with a combination of both volume (more on bigger tyres) and pressure(lower on bigger tyres)

there is a test to do at a shopping centre car park
    find a shallow puddle and drive through it onto dry ground.if the tyre print is even across the whole width then you are correct
    more track from centre and you're too hard:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have BFG A/T's on my 96 Paj too, they really seems to suit it, aside from the odd bit of squeal if you put your foot down on a roundabout which tends to translate into the asre end falling out if you do it in 2WD in the wet. :D

very hardwearing and ace in the muck whilst maintaining sa modicum of dignity on the black stuff.

me tyres are gone up to 25psi as i was told that 20 was ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its all relative to the volume inside the tyre, what sort of tyre it is and the weight of the vehicle they're on. tis not as simpler a process as a lot of people think.

the only thing i know for certain about tyre pressures is that i actually know feck all about them. :)

oi have a crewcab hilux sitting on 33x12.5xr15 now at 25 psi,will see what the difference is

Advertisement