Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House training - Doing it right?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I've two large xbreed pups 15 weeks old now.They live in the house and the door is open pretty much all day so they have open access to the garden.
    When they make a mistake on the floor I say nothing to them and just clean it up instantly.
    When they wake from a nap I call them outside and praise them extravagantly when they toilet.
    Every hour or so,if they're playing inside for any length of time I call them out and they usually perform and are praised for it.
    In the past week there's only been one 'solid' mistake in the house (the door had blown shut) and they now sleep through the night so there's been no mistakes then either.
    BUT they are still weeing on the floor during the day.
    I'll give them all the time they need to get it right but am I missing something here?
    Maybe I've just got the dumbest dogs in Ireland but more likely I'm doing something wrong.It's been 7 weeks now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

At 15 weeks they can't really have full bladder control yet, which means they need to go more often. If they are playing they can get caught out and just have to go then and there.

I'd say keep going as you are and they will get there. Crate training is very useful for house training, but if the accidents are happening during the day then it probably wouldn't help a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Kelly O'Malley

Go more often?If I didn't know better I'd swear their bladders were directly linked to the mains water!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Make sure that when you wipe up 'spills' that you remove the scent really well, even the slightest after smell will only encourage them to wee again. Dettol works a treat, just be careful to keep the dogs away until it is dry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Kelly O'Malley

They've not got a regular spot for it so I must have the residual scent thing covered.Should have mentioned that before.

Advertisement