Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep fried confectionaries

Options
  • 28-04-2008 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭

I was in the local chipper at home at the weekend (it's a new chipper) and I noticed that they had deep fried mars bars on the menu. It's not something i've ever felt the urge to try, and while they are not commonplace i have seen them on the menu in a few places before.

Anyway,while waiting for my order I spotted another notice behind the counter. 'Deep fried jammy dodgers'!!!! WTF?! As intrigued as I was it's not something I could be tempted into eating. Battered biscuits don't sound that appealing.

So I guess my question is - does your local chipper have any odd deep fried confectionaries or otherwise on the menu - and have you tried them?

Comments

Seashell used to be one of the last places in Dublin to get battered curly whirleys (amongst others).

*sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I heard about the Mars bars but no way in hell am I going to eat that. Battered sausages are enough for me, and then only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not something i've tried yet. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

You have to try the battered mars bar, they're gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Melion wrote: »

Does the chocolate melt inside the batter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Does the chocolate melt inside the batter?
    Yep. But it hardens again fairly quickly. They're best eaten fresh on your way out of the chipper. It's not the kind of thing you wait to get home to tuck into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

battered mars bars are so good. but not something i'd eat ore than a couple of times a year. i've pics here from a bgrh thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55617865&postcount=31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Lived in Glasgow for a while and you could get anything battered. Strangely, the only thing I found truly disgusting was the battered haggis. No thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I used to live in North-East Scotland, and some of my local chippers would do any choc bar you brought in. They'd also have some stocked (Mars, Snickeds, Double-Becker etc), generally keeping them in a fridge/freezer so they'd melt less when being cooked.

Also a local butcher made Steak and Chocolate Sausages!!!

Don't believe me?

http://www.meatinfo.co.uk/articles/19904/A-talent-for-marketing.aspx?categoryid=9037

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Had one once. Couldn't finish it. I liked the taste of it, but it seriously made me feel like dying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Had one once. Couldn't finish it. I liked the taste of it, but it seriously made me feel like dying.

aye, i had that feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yeah, it was tasty enough but my heart felt like exploding after my second bite. I wouldn't mind having another bash at it though, may call into Lennox's at lunchtime tomorrow.

I think Mars bars are pretty difficult to eat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was always saying I should deep fry me todger til I realised it'd probably bubble away to nothing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I had a battered ice-cream in Scotland years ago - wasn't bad.

Reading this reminds me of the nappy that went missing in "The Van".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Melion wrote: »

Get thee back to Scotland you heathen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Had a battered mars bar a few weeks ago while i was in Edinburgh. After a days boozin, it tasted great.
    Next day, we went for a deep fried Burger, ah jaysus it was greasiest thing ever. But Lovely...wow id recommend it 2 anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Saw a show on Food Network with a English chap who has a chip shop in New York and sells deep fried Mars Bars, Twix, Snickers and Twinkies. Very tempted to try something myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Deep fried Twix sounds lovely. Wouldnt get as sick of it as you would with a Mars bar. Twinkies are awful though and even batter couldn't improve them.

I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again: Deep fried mars bar rice crispie cakes sound lovely. I'm going to try to make myself one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe a deep fried Freddo would be enough, not as sickening as a Mars bar. I think the combination of batter, chocolate and caramel would just be too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Stonner kebab ftw...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Chiquitos Mexican restaurants in England used to do deep fried icecreams covered in corn flakes, they stopped doing em before I was old enough to remember what they were like though...

A deep fried Kinder Bueno perhaps? Although that'd prob just crumple.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Kold wrote: »
    Chiquitos Mexican restaurants in England used to do deep fried icecreams covered in corn flakes, they stopped doing em before I was old enough to remember what they were like though...

They do deep fried ice cream covered in corn flakes in the Chinese I worked in in Cork. I wasn't a fan, much preferred the battered ice cream I got in Portugal once.

Advertisement